Logix 5000 to excel

Outlaw10801

I was told the other day that it is possible to send data from a logix 5000 to an excel spreadsheet. Where is this found? Can someone point me in the right direction i have alot of different things were this would come in handy.

I was told the other day that it is possible to send data from a logix 5000 to an excel spreadsheet. Where is this found? Can someone point me in the right direction i have alot of different things were this would come in handy.
You can use Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc to read/write tags from a ControlLogix using RsLinx (not Lite version) as a DDE server.

Just now I only remember how to read tags. First things to do is create a topic in RSLinx. A topic is like a shorcut pointing to the controller. Then you need to write a function in any cell in your spreadsheet software:

Microsoft Excel:
Code:
=server|topic!id
OpenOffice Calc:
Code:
=DDE(server;topic;id)
server = rslinx
topic = the topic you created in RSLinx
id = Tag name (you need to write it inside quotation marks if you use underscore)

You can find more information reading RSLinx help.

I've been using XcelReporter from Sytech.com for more than 8 years with no problems. XcelReporter is installed as and add in for excel and work as a OPC client.
My reports are generated automatically. You have to use and OPC server for AB, rslinx professional is one of them.