1771-ASB Series B Faulting

MachineHum

Hey guys,

I'm trying to use a 1771-ASB Series B RIO card with a CAT 1771-A1B 4 Slot I/O Chassis... (PLC5 Chassis) ... I'm wanting to turn this rack into a Remote IO adapter and access all the IO from a Control Logix rack using a 1756-DHRIO card...

I've followed this manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um001_-en-p.pdf

from page 63 on ... configuring the card DIPS on page 70 and the Chassis dips on page 76 ... I can't find what chassis dips to use with a series B card and Control Logix Rack... So I just used the instruction for a series C card ...

When I power up the rack, the "Active" and "Adapter Fault" light both go on... then swiftly turn off (It's looking like the card is trying to protect itself) The power supply active light also goes off ... indicating a problem there as well... It almost seems like an over current fault, but the PSU is rated at 3amps and the only other card I have is an AC Input ...

Are you sure the 1771-ASB is operable ? That hardware has been in production for over 30 years and there are certainly hundreds of broken ones washing around stockrooms and the aftermarket.

There is one omnibus user manual for the 1771-ASB that covers all the hardware Series; publication 1771-UM001.

I agree that you should use the module switch settings shown for Series A & B with PLC-5 non-complementary I/O systems, and the a backplane settings for "Series C and D".

What power supply do you have ?

I thought that one of the main differences between Series B and the latter C&D was the fastest Baud Rate of communication, as in Series B will not do the 230.4k rate.
Check with the baud rate setting on the configuration of your 1756-DHRIO card...

But as Ken is saying............these modules have been around a while and the older ones (red PCB card) were notoriously dodgy at times (in my past experience)

Hey guys... looks like it was the PSU... even though it was rated to 3A ... for some reason it was faulting it out... maybe inrush current or something??

The 1771-P3 was originally designed for the mini-PLC2 controllers in the early 1980s, so it might just be aging components.

Glad you got it sorted out !