Compactlogix right end cap missing.

rollex

Can I program for a compactlogix if the right end cap is missing?

I am writing software for the controller so I need all of the IO to be addressable, I don't care if it doesn't work though (as it isn't wired up)

The end cap is about 500km away so we can't get it anytime soon, will my program still run if I clear the error?

Cheers.

Just from experience, you will probably get continuous bus errors. That end cap terminates the I/O bus, and without it everything mostly goes to hell.

If the Firmware version is low enough, you can run without end cap.
We had running a CompactLogix here for years without end-cap. Till we updated the firmware to V19. At that moment the missing IO led starts blinking, and we were unable to put the PLC in run mode.
I'm not sure what the firmware version was...

Jack

If the Compact I/O bus works without an end cap, it is by luck or coincidence and not by design. You absolutely cannot rely on it to run without the end cap, at any firmware revision.

You can load the program and go into RUN mode, but all of your I/O connections will stay broken. As long as you haven't configured them to fault the controller when the connection breaks, the program will still run.

You'll get the best performance by Inhibiting all the I/O modules so the backplane and CPU aren't busy using up their buffers and connection resources trying to connect to modules that can't communicate properly.

Ken, you're probably right on this, but you give the solutions to the top starter:
Just inhibit all your IO to fault the controller.

Jack