Fanuc Drive e-Stop torque limit

NevisGroup

Hello all:
I have a Fanuc AISV (A06B-6124-H102) drive being controlled by a GE PMM335 PAC Motion controller.
I need to limit the amount of torque that is applied when an E-Stop is activated mid motion. The drive applies max stopping power to the motor and it is causing mechanical problems.
(It is breaking things)
I could live with the drive just letting go of the motor and letting it coast to a stop. (There are hard stops that will take the brunt of the crash with out a problem).
PS. There is no saftey issue with allowing the motor to coast

Thanks for you input Steve. But no luck...
I am already dropping the contactor on E-stop.
It looks like the output of the drive is hard d-braking the motor, which is fairly common.
But there is usually a way to disable or at least limit that function for high inertia loads. I just can't find it here.

(BTW GE / Fanuc have gone out of their way to make getting info difficult.)

How about if you only drop the contactor on E-Stop and don't open the E-Stop connection on the amp?

Also, consider the possibility that you have too much motor for the drivetrain. If you can damage components by stopping too fast you could potentially damage them by accelerating too fast.

I did finally get word back from Fanuc. When the drive E-Stop opens the AMP shunts the motor. This can not be turned off.

I ended up with a delayed safety to issue a stop to the drives before killing power. This will cover 99% of the E-Stop situations. Something like a power fail will not be covered. The best I can do is warn the customer about it.

The motor / drive combination is sized correctly for the normal operation of the machine. The max motor torque during normal operation is well within the mechanical limits. The problem is an uncontrolled stop. With a large enough load, you could potentially reach de-mag currents with an uncontrolled stop.

On to different issues with this system....