Add an AENT as a new module

PLC Pie Guy

Hey there folks.
I am adding to my L43 project a 1734-AENT. I have attached a screen shot to describe my troubles. When trying to configure the module in 5000, it only has series A as a selection, the module I have here is series B. Is this an issue of missing an EDS?
If so I am confused as this is a project done by others. There are four other AENT modules in this project. All the same, series B. On LINX all show up with an icon and as a series B device. In the 5000 project all show up as an unrecognized device. Does this mean they did not use the EDS files? I am just looking for some clarification on this.

Thanks

Untitled_AENT.jpg

Okay. So I need to download AOP. That is fine. However, why is it that in the existing project the existing AENT series B modules show as an unrecognized device. Wouldn't the project builder have done this as well? When I try to open the properties of the existing AENT modules I get this little pop up error stating
"Failed to create module profile or EDS file not installed".
Thanks for the help. I am just trying to do a little self education here!

Hi,

As per my knowledge you dont have EDS file for that perticular device.
Install EDS file & it will be fine.

Okay. So I need to download AOP. That is fine. However, why is it that in the existing project the existing AENT series B modules show as an unrecognized device. Wouldn't the project builder have done this as well? When I try to open the properties of the existing AENT modules I get this little pop up error stating
"Failed to create module profile or EDS file not installed".
Thanks for the help. I am just trying to do a little self education here!

The original project would have had to have done this as well. Now it could be that your minor revisions of Logix5000 are different and theirs came with the stuff for those modules.

Ani may be correct and it is simply just a EDS. I've always ended up installing the AOP when newer revisions are not recognized, maybe EDS files are part of the AOP.

So I have downloaded the EDS file.
It sends it to the RSCOMMON file. No problem. There I can see the other EDS files in the directory. So now I go to the EDS registration tool in RSL5000. So I then I browse to the folder RSCOMMON where these EDS files are and when I try to register them I get the error message pop up that states EDS files can not be read from this location. I tried this online and offline. I tried to register one file and the whole group with the same result.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Not sure if it is version dependent and what you are using but in RSLinx, just right click the device and select upload EDS from device.
Also, I "think" you will need the AOP for that device.

HTH

you shouldn't put the file into the EDS folder yourself ... instead you should run the registration tool from another location (example: the Desktop) - and that will install the file in the appropriate location ...

TIP:

when using the registration tool, you usually have to click and highlight the component that you're try to install on EACH PAGE as the tool progresses ...

and BoB O is right - but - not all devices have the EDS file embedded ... if it's there, then that's the easy way to get the job done ...

I just survived an EDS/AOP hell last week. I now have a new flat spot on my forehead.

As far as I can tell, EDS allows RSlinks to ID the device while AOP tells the logix how to handle the device. Even if you have EDS installed, without the proper AOP, it will not show up as an option in RSLogix 5000.

Harryting: I think you are describing my situation. The module shows up in LINX but unrecognized in 5000. I used LINX to upload the EDS from the AENT no prob. I have yet to download the AOP cause I just ran out of work day.
Ron: I ran the upload tool in LINX and the registration tool from 5000. The registration tool is the one that says cant look at files in this loction.(RSCOMMON)
ANI: I have the EDS file installed on LINX but not successfully in 5000. I will see after finding the AOP where I am at.

Thanks!

The EDS file is not the problem.

also:

Never touch the /RSCOMMON folder.

It's easy to get confused about the difference between Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) files and Add-On Profiles (AOPs), especially now that RA does support an "EDS-based AOP" for certain third-party modules, which blurs the line between these separate technologies and leads to the mention of the EDS file in that error message.

The EDS file affects how RSLinx Classic views and identifies a device, and it is used also by RSNetworx to identify a device and its various properties and parameters.

EDS files are not used by RSLinx Enterprise, or by FactoryTalk View, and are only used by RSLogix 5000 for third-party EDS-based Add-On Profiles.

RSLogix 5000 always uses classic, full-fat, non-GMO, gluten-rich, peanut-filled, organically raised Add On Profiles for Allen-Bradley devices.

In this case, the problem is definitely the absence of the Add-On Profile for the 1734-AENT. I've been through it myself.

Installing the Add-On Profile for the 1734-AENT Series B will make the module available in RSLogix 5000.

Hey all.
Just want to thank you for the help with this issue. Not really an issue per say but lack of experience on my behalf. I have used AENT before but I did not have to go through the AOP install. I see that there are many other AOP for various devices as well available for download. Next time I will look for an AOP before asking for help.

Again, thanks!