Small hydro automation

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
It has been a while that I am looking into getting in the buisiness of small hydro plants. I have been asked to work for a 400kVa plant.
The problem is that my only experience is that from my university courses.
Can anyone briefly explain what is usually involved in such a plant and what sort of process is going on? Can anyone suggest literature references or post some sample work?

Regards

Nik

I have a little bit of hydro under my belt now but I been doing control stuff for far longer.

Not sure if I can answer your question directly. Hydro is one of those thing that can run with extremely simple control, say one PID or even a mechanical flyball governor plus line and generator protection relays. However, depending on the project requirement, the integration part usually involve bulk of the work. What exactly are your role in this project?

So, to recap, a typical hydro unit got the following control compoents that can be integrated or stand-alone: Governor, Hydraulic Pressure Unit, and protective relays.

I am involved with 68 hydro powerhouses on the west coast of the us. While I'm not intimately involved with the controls, I can probably answer some of your controls questions, at least as far as the pieces of the powerhouse.

A 400kva plant is pretty small, and many around that size use an induction motor as the generator. I have worked on a couple like this and the controls are usually pretty simple as you don't need an exciter, and the governor is almost nothing.

If you have some questions please ask!
Mike

Mike,

Can you please explain how the small induction generator governor works? As I understand I should get the turbine to synchronous speed, close the breaker to sync with the grid and then drive the turbine to supersynchronous speed.
Is that correct?
Is this the work of a dedicated controller, or can we do it with a PLC? Is it a PID control?

Regards

You have it fairly correct, and the induction motor is fairly forgiving when it comes to synchronization because of slip. The last one of these I worked on did not have a Plc, although it could have used one. Basically it was relay logic with a few specialized relays to handle synchronizing and power monitoring. Additionally, it was controlled by a PI control off of Forebay elevation which controlled how far the needle valve opened (this was a pelton turbine).
So basically, once you get going, you monitor power to make sure you are still pushing energy out to the grid, you monitor rpm (which will be roughly proportional to power), and you monitor Forebay elevation to be sure you aren't taking water out too fast. Now, if you have a large Forebay, you may not use the level to drive your needle valve, but we another variable such as a time of day schedule or another external dispatch source.
With an induction motor generator, it sort of self governs as long as you are pushing the turbine past synchronous frequency. The harder you push, the higher your power output becomes. Don't forget that the motor still needs overload and short circuit protection as well, and most people monitor bearing temp and vibration if it is an unattended plant. Some other permissives to check for: penstock pressure, tailrace water elevation (too high and you should stop the unit), ground fault on your high voltage line, and also any kind of relay protection required by the utility like good voltage/frequency present, differential current, etc.