Hart CIP Messaging

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi eveyrone,
I am working on a new project. This one is using a 1756-L71 CLX processor along with a 1756-IF8H Analog Module with Hart Protocol.

The project calls for me to read some values from flow meters via the Hart signal. I have looked at the manual and it appears that most of it is pretty straight forward.

Where I am confused is the Project specs call for me to do some CIP messaging to the flow meters to calibrate it and get some other "non-standard" info out of the flow meters.

Has anyone here done that type of thing before? If so can you give me some pointers or even some code to get me started? The meters are Emerson Mag Meters and the manuals I have found on those don't show anything but the standard stuff.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

I have been working on an Ammonia control system for a new plant. I have 18 Transmitters all going to the HART point I/O cards. Likely similar to the ones you are using. The manuals for the Instrument themselves contained absolutely no info on the HART data. The manufacturer provided us with 20 page technical white paper specifically for the HART comms and a breakdown of what the arrays coming in actually mean. Its a very cool system and its amazing how much data you can get from the instruments.
However, it's likely your salesman has no clue about it.
This was my first look at anything HART and it is pretty cool.

Pie Guy,
What brand of instruments were you using? I am using Rosemount Mag Flow Meters. If you were using the same manufacture could you send me that White Paper?

Section 8 in "Publication 1756-UM533C-EN-P - February 2011" manual is titled, "Getting HART data by using CIP MSG" and 20 pages long with specifics.

The HART data for the specific flow meter is usually defined in the flow meter vendor's "Transmitter" (electronic box) manual, which is not the same manual that covers the flowmeter 'tube', whatever technology does the actual measurement in the pipe/line.

Micromotion (coriolis) manuals cover how to assign the 4 HART variables, but I haven't found a section or table on the data in HART diagnostics.