Any free-of-charge univeral HART DTM still out there?

timothy585

Supporting Member
Just started working with some HART loops and I'm trying out Pactware.I'm using Krohne and it works just fine recognizing my modem.
I downloaded a "Universal DTM Generic HART driver" from Pepperl+Fuchs and it worked great for a few days. But now when I shut down the program I get a pop-up that says "No Professional license! The initial parameter values are saved to the project!"[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
http://https://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/usa/en/classid_1804.htm?view=productdetails&prodid=32798
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
And now, that universal DTM driver won't work AT ALL...it just won't recognize any devices that were working just fine a few days ago.
Obviously, there is licensing issue now, but when I contacted P+F yesterday, they said this driver(by ICS GmbH) is actually a trail version and not free...and they have no contact with that company to purchase a license.
Anyone know of a universal HART DTM out there that is still free-of-charge? Or is my only option to spend at least a grand or so to get one?
I'm just working with Rosemounts right now and downloaded their DTM for the 2051, but I get an error with that DTM saying it doesn't recognize the device.:confused:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are you talking about the HART Protocol driver, which enables Pactware to talk HART? I last downloaded the protocol driver from Codewrights GmbH a couple years ago. I had to register, but did not pay a fee. I just looked at the Codewrights website and they have no downloads at all.

The Pactware web site says "Each PACTware installation can operate all HART devices. The setup includes a communication driver for common HART modems and a generic HART device DTM."

I suspect you're referring to the generic HART driver that I assume covers the 12 or 13 generic HART Commands, like short tag, long tag, LRV, URV, etc.

I remember seeing a generic HART driver in the Krohne version of Pactware, but I never used it and no longer have Pactware installed.

Do you need a generic HART driver because there's no manufacturer supplied DTM for a given device?

Rosemount has a DTM for their 2051 PT, and I was able to download and add it to my DTM library just fine. That's really the only model transmitter I'm working with now.

But when I use that DTM and try and connect, Pactware simply says that it cannot connect to the device. Any Pactware install I've tried so far recognizes my modem(comm device) config, so that's not the issue, I believe.

You mentioned the Pactware website states that the various Pactware packages include a generic HART DTM. I've tried the Pepperl&Fuchs and Krohne versions, but did not see a generic DTM listed in either library.

Maybe I'm just missing something??

You're sure it is not a connection issue?

You're sure the 2051 is HART, not Profi or FF or whatever?

There's at least 250 Ohms in the loop, you're not connected with just a 24Vdc power supply direct to the transmitter without a load resistor?

I seem to recall that the HART protocol driver showed up somewhere in the catalog listing, like maybe at the top of the DTM list?

Is the HART protocol driver that is installed the P&F trial/licensed-but-not-paid-for version one you mentioned?

Have you tried the M&M Software's FDT container?

I find it more user-friendly than PACTware. You would need to register to download the application.

https://www.mm-software.com/en/download

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, that download page only has two white papers available for download and no software. I looked around the website and couldn't find anything else.

You're sure it is not a connection issue?

You're sure the 2051 is HART, not Profi or FF or whatever?

There's at least 250 Ohms in the loop, you're not connected with just a 24Vdc power supply direct to the transmitter without a load resistor?

I seem to recall that the HART protocol driver showed up somewhere in the catalog listing, like maybe at the top of the DTM list?

Is the HART protocol driver that is installed the P&F trial/licensed-but-not-paid-for version one you mentioned?

Yep, the transmitter is HART and so is the DTM I downloaded from Rosemount.

I'm using a hart modem that powers the device through the USB port and it has worked fine in that regard with multiple other devices.

And yes, I was told by P+F that the universal DTM on their website used to be free, but now it's a trial.

Thanks.

Thanks, I finally found it on their website and am waiting on the email link from them now. Appreciate it.
I recommend you give it a try. I do not use DTM that much, but I find this container is more intuitive, and handles the catalogue update, in my view, in a more clear way. Would like to read your comments on the difference between PACTware's and M&M Software's field device tool containers.