Free and open-source PLC driven warehouse/manufacturing simulation made with Unity

I mean... Not to be that guy, but...

member for 5 years, and the first post/comment in 2023 is a link to download something?

member for 5 years, and the first post/comment in 2023 is a link to download something?

Nothing to download, it's a link to the code repository and more information/instructions. GitHub is a Microsoft owned and trusted platform for sharing code openly. Would it be more or less weird if I were a member for 1-day haha

Nothing to download, it's a link to the code repository and more information/instructions. GitHub is a Microsoft owned and trusted platform for sharing code openly. Would it be more or less weird if I were a member for 1-day haha

well kind of, We tend to get bots that take over old accounts that were compromised and masquerade as a legit user due to age of account.

well kind of, We tend to get bots that take over old accounts that were compromised and masquerade as a legit user due to age of account.

Fair enough, I guess I've been just waiting for something more substantial to share. :)

Fair enough, I guess I've been just waiting for something more substantial to share. :)

It's not a bad idea, I've been wanting something that I can set up simple simulations on and run things through it at varying degrees of speed without having to have an entire routine dedicated to simulation... which only works as far as you can watch/capture bits.

any working examples of this existing yet showing how indepth it can get?

It's not a bad idea, I've been wanting something that I can set up simple simulations on and run things through it at varying degrees of speed without having to have an entire routine dedicated to simulation... which only works as far as you can watch/capture bits.

any working examples of this existing yet showing how indepth it can get?

Yes, in the link if you scroll down a little there are a few demos and instructions on how to get started. Although you will need to install Unity which is free for usage unless you're trying to make a profit from it. I hope to come out with more instructional videos in the future, when development is further along. I'm mostly just sharing to get some initial feedback, and possibly get the interest of other developers with experience in ICS.

Yes, in the link if you scroll down a little there are a few demos and instructions on how to get started. Although you will need to install Unity which is free for usage unless you're trying to make a profit from it. I hope to come out with more instructional videos in the future, when development is further along. I'm mostly just sharing to get some initial feedback, and possibly get the interest of other developers with experience in ICS.

sounds good. I take it you've seen some of the sims like EasyPLC right?

sounds good. I take it you've seen some of the sims like EasyPLC right?

Yeah, the big difference with this project is that it's free and completely customizable. You can import any model you want, change all the angles, sizes, colors of all the objects. Write your own scripts for your own devices, etc.

Interesting project!
I've done a similar project some years ago with the Blender Game Engine, and then with the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). In my opinion this would be a great open source project where users create common assets and others can use them in their simulation. But from my experience, in the plc community there are not many people who want to contribute to such projects. Maybe they aren't allowed to do so, or haven't the knowledge in any other non-plc language or how to use programs like git to contribute.

Interesting project!
I've done a similar project some years ago with the Blender Game Engine, and then with the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). In my opinion this would be a great open source project where users create common assets and others can use them in their simulation. But from my experience, in the plc community there are not many people who want to contribute to such projects. Maybe they aren't allowed to do so, or haven't the knowledge in any other non-plc language or how to use programs like git to contribute.

I agree that it's probably small, but I think you'd still be surprised. More than a couple people I've talked to since starting this project not including you have told me they have personally begun something similar and are actively involved now. We are still in the early stages, so there is plenty of low-hanging fruit things that can be done. We have a couple people that are investigating adding additional PLC drivers, and more looking into adding more models.

I think if you have a solid foundation in an industry involving PLCs and are interested in game development / learning C# / modeling this isn't a bad project to start with and a lot of the basic skills will translate easily.