Opinion on daisy chaining Ethernet

micky

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have three shipping lines with a bagger, printer, palletizer and stretch wrapper. The bagger and palletizer each have a hub. My preference is to have each piece of equipment come back to the primary switch when possible. Project engineer wants to daisy chain each line of equipment to save cost of cable, 3 pulls versus 12.

Same idea with a Compactlogix PLC and two remote chassis with a 1769-AENTR. Daisy chain the processor and two remote racks or bring each back to main switch?

Why ever use a hub? Bad idea unless you need to snoop the data.

I doubt that you would have enough traffic to make a difference either way, but from a topology point of view, I always try to bring multiple end nodes to a concentrating switch, rather than daisy chain.

I'm sure Micky means "switch" when he says "hub".

The right thing to do is a quick analysis of what happens if each Ethernet cable is cut or damaged.

If the whole system cannot run with one damaged Ethernet cable, it doesn't matter what architecture you use.

If you have technologies (like Rockwell's Device-Level Ring) that allow you to maintain communications when one cable is damaged, then I typically recommend using those.

I generally dislike daisy-chaining when I can avoid it. Device-Level Ring gives you many of the benefits of daisy-chaining without the downside of a single cable failure crippling the network.

Yes, unless by "hub" you actually mean a small managed or unmanaged switch, a hub should not really be used in an industrial network. Hubs are dumb. They take in data on any port and broadcast that data out on all ports.

What we are talking here is Topology.

You want to implement a Star Topology...

The most common EtherNet/IP network Topology is Star, where end devices are connected and communicate with each other via a switch. In a Star Topology, nodes are typically grouped closely together.

Advantages:

Easy to design, configure, and implement
Direct path between the infrastructure device and the end device
Remove and add devices without affecting the rest of the network
Increase port capacity on the switch to add more devices
Centralization can ease troubleshooting, because the switch sees the activities of all of the connected devices

Disadvantages:

Loss of network service in case of connection failure (no resiliency)
Primarily the single point of failure of the centralized switch

The Project Engineer wants to implement Linear Topology...

A linear network is a collection of devices that are daisy-chained together.
A linear topology works best for a limited number of nodes.

Advantages:

Easy to design, configure, and implement
Least amount of cable installation
Minimal amount of cable needed
Ability to cover long distances with 100 m between each link

Disadvantages:

Multiple switches required
Loss of network service in case of connection failure (no resiliency)
Creates the potential for bottlenecks
Variable number of hops can make performance difficult to predict
Powering down a device or the failure of a device in the centre of the network affects connectivity between any of the devices on either side
Each link in the chain represents network delay

Other Topologies available are...

Redundant Star
Ring
Device Level Ring
Device Level Linear

As mentioned, the required bandwidth is one factor which can go towards determining whether Star would be required over Linear. Another important factor is the type of switches you use. Are they managed switches, so as to properly direct traffic where it needs to go. Also, the distances involved between each hop for a Linear Topology, and if using copper media, are they all under 100m? While the last two factors should apply to both these Topologies, they would have a more detrimental effect on a switch based Linear network if not implemented correctly.

For the controller and Distributed I/O...

If I am to assume the controller is one of the newer 5370 CompactLogix DLR controllers, then this setup would fall under Device Level Linear Topology...

A linear network is a collection of devices that are daisy-chained together. The EtherNet/IP embedded switch technology enables this topology to be implemented at the device level. No additional switches are required. A linear topology works best for a limited number of nodes.

Advantages of a Device Level Linear Topology:

Simple installation
Reduced wiring and installation costs
No special software configuration required
Improved CIP Sync application performance on linear networks

The primary disadvantage of a linear network is that any break of the cable
disconnects all devices downstream from the break from the rest of the network.

EtherNet/IP embedded dual switch technology at the device level is fast becoming the standard, eliminating the need for a local managed switch. If implementing Linear Topology, using AB equipment, then use the newer equipment that supports DLR. It is designed specifically for handling the types of data that AB equipment likes to transport.

In short, and depending on what hardware is being used at each node (DLR or not), I would advise a Star Topology for the Shipping Lines.

For the CompactLogix and Distributed I/O, once all other criteria, distances, etc., are ok, then Device Level Linear Topology should be fine.

EDIT: As Ken eludes to, what is more important to the company, the savings made on the project now, or the better prevention of downtime in the future?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I'm sure Micky means "switch" when he says "hub".

Switches in PLC cabinets but hubs in other packaging equipment. The attached drawing should clear up what I am dealing with. line 1 and 2 is what I am thinking, line 3 is the engineers idea to save cost on cable. Main run between control room and farthest line 3 is about 150'.

Communications between PLC and remote racks is crucial. The link to all the packaging equipment for now is only for production data.

Last edited:
Switches in PLC cabinets but hubs in other packaging equipment. The attached drawing should clear up what I am dealing with. line 1 and 2 is what I am thinking, line 3 is the engineers idea to save cost on cable. Main run between control room and farthest line 3 is about 150'.

Communications between PLC and remote racks is crucial. The link to all the packaging equipment for now is only for production data.

The PLC tags in Ignition for Line 3 PLCs should be on a separate and slower scan class .

Only once I did an ethernet loop using managed N-tron gigabit switches, with six switches in the loop. I have now reverted to a star topology with loops only for redundant links between panels to mitigate against one cable failing.

In the plant with the loop, each PLC is plugged in to an ethernet switch, so the minimum distance between any two PLCs was two hops. The maximum distance between any PLCs that communicated with eachother was three hops. I found for the PLCs that had three hops the modbus IOScanner was less performant - there was more jitter and larger variations in delay between updates, as measured by the difference in the system clock timestamps on new packets.

What is the point of the 1783 ethernet switches? Is there more plugged in to them than just the PLC and remote IO? I would connect the PLC and remote IO all to the same switch in star topology. If there is a need for more drops in each panel for convenience of plugging in a laptop or other devices, I would run a second ethernet to that panel and then put a $150 unmanaged switch.

For the lines, if the data transferred is just for HMI/SCADA, or the equipment in the line only communicates with other equipment in the line (not the PLC) and HMI, I could see using the LINE3 config, but I would definitely not use a hub, why would you ever choose to use a hub?,

If the equipment in the line communicates with the PLCs then I would do star topology so that all equipment that uses the network for control is max 1 hop away from eachother.

Looking at the controller and I/O segment a little closer...

micky said:
...Communications between PLC and remote racks is crucial...

If we are talking crucial as in I/O traffic...

Considerations need to be made if using unmanaged switches between a controller and I/O under its control...

As a general rule for unmanaged switches, make sure of the following:

Your application does not contain I/O traffic

or

If your application does have I/O traffic, then make sure the following is true:

The network is not directly connected to the IT network
All nodes on the network are Rockwell Automation devices
There is no potential to overload a device with traffic

If the above can be satisfied, then...

Traffic-wise, the Linear setup you've outlaid will "most likely" work fine.
Resiliency-wise, the middle 1783-US5T switch going down will take down its local I/O, and also the second 1783-US5T switch and its local I/O.

If ye can live with that, it "should" be ok, but remember, each hop is adding latency to the packets on the wire. If you were getting any CRC errors or timeouts, the Topology would be one of the first places to look.

Also, the advantage of having embedded switch technology in the AENTRs and the CompactLogix is being negated, to a degree, by the external use of Stratix 2000 unmanaged switches (1783-US5T) local to each of those nodes. The Stratix 2000 switches are adding an extra hop at each node. They are also devoid of any diagnostics features normally present in a managed switch. They cannot manage or constrain Multicast data. The embedded switches can cut "Through Forwarding" times to reduce latency. Also, they use "Broadcast rate limiting" for DLR devices when the Broadcast traffic is excessive. This feature prevents end devices from becoming overwhelmed by network noise. Another useful feature is the filtering of incoming Unicast and Multicast frames to the DLR device. This feature prevents data that is not directed to the end device, but is passing through the embedded switch, from being processed by the device.

What degree the unmanaged switches reduce the capabilities of these embedded features is hard to say, but the DLR devices were specifically designed to wire in and wire out for optimum performance. Of course, having local port access is often a necessity, but I would advise managed switches here if needs must. The Stratix 5700 managed switches would probably be the best fit here.

However, all said, I would still prefer a Star Topology as a minimum, for the least latency and for better resiliency. You could go one better and Ring the DLR devices (controller and AENTRs) and still go single back to the Layer 2 Switch from the controller as shown.

Taking the Line 3 outlay as proposed by the Engineer...

As a worst case scenario, if, now or in the future, the controller in Line 3 Wrapper needs to communicate with the second 1769-AENTR and its I/O, this would be a six hop transaction each way.

At the least, Line 3 Wrapper is four hops from the Server, over a greater distance. It may or may not be an issue, but you won't know that until it's too late, if you install it as outlaid.

And yes, the hubs, at a minimum, have to go!

Switches, not hubs or repeaters, should be used at the plant floor because they have the following benefits:

Directed traffic (non-real time, explicit messaging) is seen by only 2 ports
This is true with full-duplex or with half-duplex configuration
Full-duplex eliminates collisions

This reduces the range of worst-case response time, effectively making network or system response time predictable. The effect of both of these is increased system performance.

The Star outlay for Lines 1 and 2 are how you should proceed, at a minimum, in my opinion. If the switch supports inter-VLAN routing, I would make each Line a VLAN from the main switch. You can then communicate between Lines, etc., in a more managed way, if needs be.

But ideally, I would place a Layer 2 Switch at each Line, say at the Bagger, and Star out, making each node on the Line a VLAN off the Line Layer 2 Switch. The three Line Layer 2 Switches would go back to a Main Layer 3 Switch, and then to the Server, and beyond if needs be later.

(btw - thumbs up for the Ignition Server)

Pushing that concept out further, I would also place a Layer 2 Switch at the Main PLC, and make it and the AENTRs VLANs on that Switch, and then back to the Layer 3 Switch.

There is so much involved in getting these networks installed correctly, and every project is different. You nearly need a degree in this stuff alone by todays standards. If the Project Engineer does not fully understand the implications of the choices they are making, other than saving on costs, then someone else that does know needs to politely "take" that decision away from them, if at all possible.

It took a bit of persuading some time back, but we finally got our Project Engineer around to our way of thinking. Now we purchase Stratix 8000 switches, and the like, as and when we need them, no questions asked.

Regards,
George

Switches in PLC cabinets but hubs in other packaging equipment.

This is the equivalent of saying "we've got some trucks in the new lot, but we're keeping the existing mules for cost savings."

I agree that the Line 3 proposal is a poor idea. I wouldn't keep hubs in an EtherNet/IP system with CompactLogix and CIP I/O unless I was automating the methane bioreactors in Bartertown.

I'd counter with: The mere suggestion of using a hub in an industrial environment invalidates his entire proposal on the matter. It shows a clear lack of understanding/knowledge, which means he's not qualified to make the relevant decisions.

Star topology is the better route to go.
We've had ..... issues ..... with other solutions, including daisy chaining, which was done to cut costs (why else?). Since we moved everything to star, life has been so much easier.....

Dont diss the daisy-chained variant so quickly.
Agreed that such a system with daisy-chained hubs or un-managed switches should be avoided.
But if you daisy-chain managed switches, it may be the better compromise than just pulling everything back to a central switch.
With managed switches you get some troubleshooting tools (SNMP and port mirroring) that takes a lot of the risk out of daisy-chaining.

This is an existing plant, but if you had to start from scratch, maybe a main ethernet ring, with drops to the various nodes would be the best compromise.With a ring you get redundancy (notice that neither line nor star layout have redundancy) and lower cost (higher than line, but less than star).

This is the equivalent of saying "we've got some trucks in the new lot, but we're keeping the existing mules for cost savings."

I was wrong, the palletizer and bagger have unmanaged switches in them.

This is an existing plant

Brand spanking new plant, half the equipment is still in shipping containers. I jumped in the middle of this project and once everybody has moved on I'll be left to keep it operational, which is why I am being picky about some things. I am going to roll with the star topology and also do away with the switches in the remote cabinets and replace the switch in the main PLC with an 1783-ETAP and create a ring.

I really wish AB had named it EtherCIP instead of Ethernet/IP; everyone keeps just calling it ethernet and it's very misleading. For Eth/IP, hubs and daisy chaining reduce performance, this is not true for many other industrial ethernet protocols, so in case anyone is googling later:

HUB vs SWITCH
Hubs are faster at propagating than switches, so if your network avoids collisions with time slots or poll/response and does not require specialized hardware, hubs will reduce jitter and latency. This dumb hub speed advantage is being reduced as switches get faster. If your network does not have special collision avoidance or will also have non-fieldbus traffic mixed in, you will want to use switches to reduce the traffic on each line.
Examples: Powerlink would do best with hubs because it is poll/response and very high speed, Ethernet/IP would do best with switches. Many other protocols, like EtherCat should use specialized hardware for junction needs.

Daisy Chain vs Star
Each jump away from your interface increases jitter and latency in the network traffic; if your fieldbus is high speed and not ring based, you will see better performance from a star topology. Some fieldbuses are actually ring based, but allow branching; the data has to go down the branch, then back up to continue the ring, causing a performance hit when using star.
Examples: EtherCat is a logical ring and performs better when daisy chained. Powerlink uses precise timing and daisy chaining through too many devices can cause detrimental amounts of jitter/latency. Ethernet/IP is sensitive to network congestion and should avoid daisy chaining to reduce traffic per ethernet cable.