Modbus Registers and FTV

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Guys,
Let me know please can we directly configure modbus registers in Factory talkview? or need to use COP command in RS logix? During creating tag in Factory talkview I'm just seeing Array not bits, so looks like I need to copy each bit on tag in RS Logix and then import this tag in Factory Talkview.

Back up and explain your application.

There is no reason to use Modbus protocol between a Logix 5000 controller and a PanelView Plus or other FactoryTalk View terminal. Use the native RSLinx Enterprise drivers.

If you need to communicate between your controller and a device that uses Modbus, or between your HMI and a device that uses Modbus, the techniques and hardware will be different.

Explain in detail what your equipment and your goals are.

Hello Ken, No I don't have communication issue between RS Logix 5000 and FTV, its ok. My question is I created a tag in FTV ME and want to assign it address from modbus module like ReadData0.1, but when I go to tag in FTV I'm just seeing Array Tag like ReadData(0) not seeing any bit, so to assign a address to a tag in FTV from Modbus, do I need to use COP instruction, like copy data from ReadData(0).1 to any new created tag ion RS Logix 5000 and import it in FTV and assign?

Thank you for re-stating the question. I now understand that the Controller Tags you are trying to read from the ControlLogix are simply related to the I/O tags of a communications module like the MVI56-MCM. That's why you called it "Modbus data".

The FactoryTalk View tag browser can only browse what are called 'atomic' datatype elements in the ControlLogix. You can browse to a DINT or INT or SINT, or a REAL, or even a BOOL, but you can't browse down to the bit level of a DINT or INT or SINT. There is no "bit picker" like there is in RSLogix 5000.

The workaround is very easy: just use the FactoryTalk View Tag Browser to select the DINT element, and then manually type ".xx" for the bit number after it.

So you can browse down to the level of "ReadData[0]", then manually add the bit number so the tag address is "ReadData[0].1".

Ken, I'm working on Prosoft MVI56MCM, I'm unable to clear my concept on READDATA addresses of registers. For example, I have register values 400040, 400080, 4000090 with function 3 and start reading int 1000. I know 1st register value will be on ReadData[0] but will be the placing address of other other registers 400080, 90.