Simatic Timer (S_ODT) inside a FB

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Another question relating to my difficulties with translating my S7-1200 FB's to S7-300 FB's :)

In my S7-1200 FB I have two IEC timers (TON). I have defined them as Static Tags of type TON so that each instance DB that is created when I drop in a new instance of the FB has it's own timers. This all works well.

In the S7-300, I can't use IEC timers. No problem, I can use a Simatic Timer - S_ODT. But I have to change my Static tags to match the new data type. I've tried "Timer", "S_ODT", "SIMATIC_Timer", none of them have worked. Can anyone tell me what data type I have to make them? Or should I be approaching this differently?

Thanks!

Hi Jesper,

I'm not sure how to do this in TIA portal - could you explain further?

Even before doing this, I can already use an IEC timer in OB1, and it will compile without errors. But if I try to use it inside an FB, it all appears OK but when I compile I get the error "This use of IEC timers / IEC counters is not possible in this target system."

OK. Turns out that the timer really wasn't the problem. The problem was that I can only drive one coil from the timer output. I was trying to drive two in parallel - as soon as I removed one the error went away:

Code:

Don't you love how helpful and specific error codes can be 👨🏻‍🏫

I was assuming you were programming the S7-300 with STEP7 Classic.
With Classic you have to include the SFBs manually, whereas TIA handles it for you automatically.

I am guessing that the translation from german explains why the text is not so clear.
It does not say you cannot use IEC timers with S7-300.
It says that this (kind of) use of IEC timers is not possible with S7-300.
For this reason I prefer to read the german documentation. Some of the translation errors I have seen in the past have been quite grave.

Yeah, I always get the impression that if I could read German, Siemens would make a lot more sense :)

A few other things you can't do with IEC timers in an S7-300:

Code:
           |
           |   ________________
           +---|IN    TON    Q|----------(  )---|
               |              |
               |PT__________ET|

|----| |---+---| |-----| |-----------------+----(  )---|  = bad!
           |                               |
           |          ________________     |
           +---| |----|IN    TON    Q|-----+
                      |              |
                      |PT__________ET|

so basically it would seem that the only thing you can do with an IEC timer in an S7-300 is contact...timer...coil. Not incredibly useful, especially when you can do all of the things above in an S7-1200 with no issues.

I'm also not a fan of the fact that it'll let you put the rung in, and the little red X goes away (so you think your rung is fine), and it's only when you compile that it raises 30 "you can't do that with a timer" errors. Sigh.