Can you tell what Firmware Rev When ordering a PLC?

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can you tell what Firmware Rev Number that you will get when you purchase new controller from the factory?
This recent "Suspicious about software" post got me thinking.

I have a couple of machines I built last year each using a CompactLogix 1769-L30ERM Rev 20.12.
They are working fine, so I want to replicate them.
If I decide to build two identical machines, and purchase two new 1769-L30ERM today, will the PLC arrive with a higher Rev number? 26.012?

Can I downgrade the Firmware to Rev20, so I can use an identical program, or should I Update the PLC Program to the Highest Rev number of the new PLC?

The last time that I did this I know that RSLogix5000 asked me to update the Firmware, but I didn't notice if it was Upgrading or Downgrading.

I already include the IP Address of the PLC in the FileName of my programs, maybe I should start including the Firmware RevNo too.

All ControlLogix arrive from the factory with just the boot firmware in them. You have to load whatever you want for runtime firmware.

As long as you're buying the same model (and sometimes the same Series) you can always load the same firmware into them.

Better yet: make an SD card with an image of the firmware and your runtime file using the Store to Nonvolatile Memory function in Studio 5000, and you won't even have to get out ControlFlash.

When you get a new Processor it is "blank". The firmware has to be flashed onto the processor using the ControlFlash utility. So basically you get to select the Firmware version you want to have on the controller. If you want to stay with v20 then only flash it to v20.

Edit: Ken types faster :)

Question:
I've never tried this so I'm wondering, if you try to download the project you have backed up from another controller, will it automatically flash the firmware to the correct version? or does it force you out to Control Flash?

Thanks Ken and Bulzi.
Great information as always.

I've go a hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm off to buy a 1784-CF128 SD Card
Wow! I just checked and the PLC already comes with a card. Great I can save the $100.00
:site:

1784-CF128.PNG

Last edited:
Question:
I've never tried this so I'm wondering, if you try to download the project you have backed up from another controller, will it automatically flash the firmware to the correct version? or does it force you out to Control Flash?

Mart,
If you connect to a processor with RSL 5K (or Studio 5K) and the controller has a different version of firmware than the saved program it will ask you if you want to update the controller firmware. It will then take you to ControlFlash to do the Flash the new Firmware.