RSLogix 5000 Saveas

steve-earl

Greetings All! This is an anomaly that has been around for quite some time. Just curious if anyone knows a fix for it.

Version 13-20 is what we use. When we open a program we will save it as a different file and in the file name include today's date prior to editing. The anomaly is that RSLogix 5K defaults back to the last folder that you did a saveas in instead of the folder that you just opened that file from. If you're not paying attention (line/machine down/in a hurry) you end up saving the new file to the wrong folder and get razzed by the other guys. It's an easy mistake to make since most, if not all other software defaults to the folder that the file was opened from.

Obviously the workaround is to pay attention but was curious if there was an actual fix.

I know we can't be the only ones bothered by this. I didn't find any other threads though.....

Thanks, Steve.

Would be interested in replies. I thought I was the only one who did this:teacher:!

This behavior is very annoying, and I have been bitten by it as well. Hopefully, someone has a solution.

Stu....

If I had a nickel for every time I had to use File Explorer to browse to the correct path, then copy it, then past it in the "Save As" or "Open" field...

Same here, I've got errant copies of programs peppered in all kinds of different folders because of this. No fix, except to be aware of it.

I was just using Solidworks eDrawings viewer to look at some diagrams and no matter if you open a file from Explorer, if you hit Open on the menu bar it defaults to the last folder that you used an 'Open' command on, not the folder you just opened a file from.

So, it's not just RSLogix 5K that has this 'anomaly' - other programs display this type of behavior as well ...

I just use the default folder for programs I'm debugging or running and then the project folders for backup. I have to clean it out every so often but at least its only the one folder.

I think this behavior is more of a windows function than anything else, it's not exclusive to RSLogix, there are many other pieces of software that do the same thing.

I would be surprised if it were a function of Windows because so many other programs don't display this behavior. RSLogix 500 does not do this, for instance.