Siemens Process Engineer... new to forum.

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
Thought I'd say Hi...

I'm Mark and employed as a Process Engineer at a plant in UK.

I've been there 8 years now and achieved the process position through dedication and willingness to learn. Although my previous employment was as an aircraft electrical technician so I don't have the soundest PLC knowledge.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can myself. And decided this would be a place that I reach out for help as and when I need it.

We use some Omron PLC's and drives in one area, but mostly using Siemens S7 and PCS7 systems, which is where I am focussing much of my time.

I've been able to monitor and use the software logic as a tool for fault finding and have implemented some modifications and new projects into the software we have on site. I've also done an intermediate course a few years ago on S7 so I am fairly capable with it.

I lack knowledge on WinCC, and I am scraping my way round that when the need arises.

We also don't have any test rigs available to play about on. Which I find a little frustrating.

I welcome any advice people may have for me at this moment in time.

I'm looking into doing some courses, a simple little course I found offers an NVQ L3 qualification for relatively little work and cost. But it's based on fundamentals of PLCs such as selecting the right PLC for a process, the limitations of PLCs, decimal to binary to hexadecimal conversions (I'm ok with that bit) and various other "fundamentals" of PLCs. I've kinda skipped this bit in training and not sure of the requirements for the course.

If anyone has any advice on that, places to look, etc, then I'd appreciate it. Also any other recommended courses and reading.

Cheers.... Mark

Great links Garry, and found your video's on YouTube, great stuff.

Just to clarify on numbering formats, specifically on the negative value words, it states that the 15th bit being a 1 is a negative number and a 0 is positive number...

Your examples show HEX's, so any HEX 8xxx, 9xxx, Axxx, Bxxx, Cxxx, Dxxx, Exxx, Fxxx will be negative (as the most significant bit for the binary equivalent is 1xxx)

It seems a long time ago since I learnt numering systems in college! Was good to have a refresher.

Looks like your a couple of years ahead of me. I'm an elec tech but doing my best to get into process engineering.

We only use AB so I cant help you with the specifics of Omron and Siemens. But as general advice I'd say get stuck in and start writing. Surely there must be spare PLC's available? If not get looking on ebay as there's some bargains to be had that can be resold for what you paid after playing with them.