RSlogix 5000 question

arocon

I am new at RSlogix 5000. I was browsing through program and msg_tag(see attached file) has no cross reference. Then how the msg_tag is created ? Similarly BTR_TAG has no cross reference. Then how this tag created or where it is used ?

Really appreciable if anybody reply .

RSlogix5000_questions.jpg Question2.jpg

Tags of any type can be created in the Tag Editor without being used in any instructions.

If neither tag is associated with an instruction, it's possible they have never been used, or that the MSG instruction that used them has been deleted, leaving the tags behind.

a MSG instruction is an instruction typically used to read from or write to other PLC's or devices. When you use a message (MSG) instruction, you have to create a tag of the type MESSAGE, which contains all of the elements you're seeing (msg_tag.DN, msg_tag.ER, and so on). These individual elements are not necessarily used in the code, but the base tag itself should show up in a cross reference - assuming that the message instruction it was created for is still in use!

When you execute a message instruction, you generally have to provide an array of data for the message instruction to use - i.e, if you're writing to another device you have to tell the PLC which data you're writing to that device; or if you're reading from another device you have to give the PLC somewhere to store the data it reads. This data array is possibly what your second picture shows.

See if you can find the MSG instruction, and look at the setup window for it. Also read the help file for the MSG instruction - it will give a lot of insight into what it is and how it works.

[edit]: I may have overthought this - after reading Ken's post I realise that you may know all of that, and just wondered why it was still there when the MSG instruction was now gone! Oh well :)