Write to a DINT in CompactLogix from a PC?

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a method to write a value to a plc tag from a pc that has no RSLinx or Logix5000 software installed? I can connect through Teamviewer to a laptop that is connected by Ethernet to the PLC but cannot access the PLC through it even when making a Teamviewer VPN to the laptop.

Someone one site has taken the step number out of range through the HMI and unfortunately there's no way to recover without modifying the step number.

AdvancedHMI does exactly this. After you download and install Visual Studio Community Edition:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

You download the AdvancedHMI solution, then open it is Visual Studio.

- Build the solution
- Double click MainForm.vb in Solution Explorer
- From the Toolbox, add an EthernetIPforCLXCom to the form
- In the property window, set the IPAddress to that of your PLC
- Add a BasicLabel to the form
- In the Properties Window, set PLCAddressValue and PLCAddressKeypad to the tag name you want to change
- Run the application
- Click on the BasicLabel and a keypad will pop up

This application can now run on any PC that has a connection to the PLC. Visual Studio is only needed to develop the app, but after that you can run the app from \AdvancedHMI\bin\Debug\AdvancedHMI.exe

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at your proposed solution and downloaded the file but it said it needed at least 10Gb of disk space to install. As the link on the other end was a mobile data connection this seemed impractical. I did however work out a solution myself by getting the guy at the other end to install Teamviewer. I connected to his machine over Teamviewer and changed his network settings to match the IP range of the plc and then made a vpn connection using the same program and hey presto I was able to get online. Teamviewer is a great program and a life saver at times. It didn't work at first as I was using my customer's Guest Wifi which must have restrictions on certain ports. When I connected over a mobile data link from my phone it worked.

In something like your situation where your disk space is limited or bandwidth is low, you can create the application on a development PC, Build the Solution, then only copy the AdvancedHMI\bin\Debug directory to the target. That directory contains only about 8Mb of files.

In the next couple weeks I'm going to create a ControlLogix utility program with AdvancedHMI that will let you read and write tag values with a light weight application.