Studio 5000 string entry

JasonWade

Can anyone advise me on how to get a lot of strings from excel to my RsLogix5000 project?

I have about 200 alarm message strings already in excel, if I can avoid typing them in again through the tag monitor that would be great.

I have seen advice about using the tag upload/download tool but it seems my version of Linx (lite) is no good for DDE topics.

I have RSLinx lite 3.71 and Studio 5000 21.03 mini edition

Thanks in advance

Do you want to put the strings directly in the processor that already has the program or do you want them in an RSLogix program that you are writing?

The reason I ask is because I can tell you easily how to get AdvancedHMI to read the values from an Excel spreadsheet and write them directly into a processor.

Thanks for the reply Archie,

I can do it either way I think, if I can put them into the processor then upload, I will have them in my project. If you know a way to do this, great, please tell.

I can see the need in future though to add strings offline and then download.

I put together a quick demo of how to write strings from an Excel file to a CLX using AdvancedHMI. You can download the complete project from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/files/advancedhmi/3.5/SampleProjects/

It is ready to run as is. You can go to the AdvancedHMI\bin\Debug directory and run the AdvancedHMI.exe file. Or you can download Visual Studio Community Edition and run it from within there and also be able to see or change the application.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

Hi Archie,

That works great. It seems to have a limitation at 126 strings though, I didn't get chance to see if it was related to the length of the strings or not.

Anyway I got around this by transferring a batch of 100 and using the COP instruction to move them, then transferring the second batch.

Thanks for your help

I use a macro using the DDEPoke to RSLinx. If I don't have a processor I use Emulator long enough to load all the strings and sequencer pin charts into the offline file. Still works in Excel 2010.