Studio-5000 HOW TO INCREASE THE LEN OF STRING?

Exposition: the PLC-5 and SLC-500 operating systems had a fixed-length String datatype that was 82 characters long. So for compatibility, the ControlLogix default STRING datatype consists of a .LEN (4-byte DINT) value and a SINT[82] array of bytes.

You cannot change the fixed length of the default STRING datatype.

But you can create a custom-length STRING formatted datatype in Studio 5000 of any length you wish. It will have a .LEN element and a fixed number of characters for .DATA[x].

Packing arrays of strings in to UDTs like Shrivsrikakolum is doing can get complicated and use a lot of memory, but that's an extended discussion.

Just because if anyone here knows it'll probably be Ken, and because I've always wondered - why was 82 characters always the default? I understand that the newer processors kept it for compatibility with the older processors, but why were they 82 characters? It just seems like an oddly specific number.

But you can create a custom-length STRING formatted datatype in Studio 5000 of any length you wish. It will have a .LEN element and a fixed number of characters for .DATA[x].

How are the 82 character strings packed into memory? Would it be more efficient to create your own datatype if you only had 10 or 20 ( or 2 ) character strings?

Hello @KEN I created a Datatype Strings with length 150 but when i used it , it says few errors. I am not sure why I work more on Omron PLCs so have not got much experience with studio5000 . i have attached screeshots can you please tell me what are they and what they mean? ​
Also this program was created by someone else.

I am using the created strings for different Tag but why is it affecting DataType ALARM_DIGITAL TAGS?

ERR : BASE TAG IS NOT VERIFIED

ERR : ASSOCIATED TAG MUST BE A BOOL, SINT, DINT,LINT OR STRING DATA TYPE

ERR : TAG DOESN'T REFRENCE VALID OBJECT OR TARGET

SS6.png SS7.jpg SS8.jpg SS9.jpg