{Brackets} in FactoryTalk View Studio

scantime

Hi all, recently converted a PanelBuillder 32 to PanelView Plus HMI, and have encountered several tags for indicators, etc. that are enclosed in brackets as such: {TagExample}. What is the function, if any, of these brackets?

FactoryTalk View Studio - Direct Referencing

The {curly brackets} denote a connection to a Direct Referenced Tag or Data File address in a controller.
i.e. An external reference to the HMI.

RSLogix 500 example Data File address syntax...

{::[plc_shortcut]N7:0}

The :: must be used when an RSLogix 500 address has a colon.
The [] defines the PLC shortcut name.
"N7:0" defines the Data File address to be accessed.
The {} surrounds the entire Direct Reference.

RSLogix 5000 example Controller Tag address syntax...

{[plc_shortcut]MyTag}

The :: are not required for Controller Tag references.
"MyTag" defines the Tag address to be accessed.

or

RSLogix 5000 example Program Tag address syntax...

{::[plc_shortcut]Program:MyProgram.MyTag}

The :: must be used when a Program Tag is defined.
"Program:MyProgram" defines the Program to access.
"MyTag" defines the Program Tag address to be accessed.

If you select PLC Tags by browsing Online or Offline Tags for the controller, the correct syntax will be automatically entered for you.

If you require bit level access then for RSLogix 500 add "/bit number" at the end of the Data File address, or for RSLogix 5000 add ".bit number" at the end of the Tag address.

Regards,
George

This has been the best explanation of tag syntax. I spent an hour on the phone with Rockwell support today, trying to get this out of him. His solution? Leave all tags in the controller, not in the program. Which is ridiculous, why else give two locations, one of which can be edited online.