Need the principle of operation of a AnyBus gateway

arbj

Hi,

I am using an AnyBus gateway for the first time in my product, I need to know how does the user (via a PLC and HMI) access the gateway. I have configured the registers on the gateway for various transactions for the sub network device (RS 485).

But how does the user access these mapped registers on the gateway. What addresses should I mention, Anybus gateway register addresses??

Also can anyone point me to some site that has such information...

thanks
a

Hi,

I am using an AnyBus gateway for the first time in my product, I need to know how does the user (via a PLC and HMI) access the gateway. I have configured the registers on the gateway for various transactions for the sub network device (RS 485).

But how does the user access these mapped registers on the gateway. What addresses should I mention, Anybus gateway register addresses??

Also can anyone point me to some site that has such information...

thanks
a

Apparently your sub network is RS-485 and you addressed them properly. What is the protocol on the other side of Anybus?

Back when I used an Anybus-IC gateway chip (Profibus version), the interface from the chip (or module) to the controller was Modbus RTU. I believe this is standard across the Anybus family.

It was set up like dual port memory, where the Modbus RTU controller side registers correlated to the output side registers of whatever protocol flavor it's set up for.

They also have a mechanism for shift registers on the controller side that can provide simple I/O tied to the fieldbus, which eliminated the need for the Modbus RTU comms.

It's been a while since I used them, but I think it's still setup that way.

Anybus is a gateway between two different protocols. One side can be anything among tens of protocols and the other side can be anything among tens of protocols.

You define the data structure of one side and it correlates that structure to other sides protocol.

oops sorry I forgot to mention that.

The gateway is the EtherNet IP to Serial type. Changing the registers on the Anybus gateway generates the transaction configured for that register. So the sub-network side is working well.

The user changes a 16 bit register in the PLC (via HMI), this register is mapped to the register in the Anybus Gateway, here I am assuming the gateway has 8 bit registers, so how is the 16 bit data sent ?? as a High byte or low byte ??

The gateway then transfers the 16 bit value in the transaction mapped to the register. The transaction is basically a stream of bytes in a particular sequence.

thanks
a

If you can give the exact part number or post the Anybus Configurator configuration file (ZIP it first), somebody might be able to help you understand your specific application.

Don't assume we know what your serial protocol is, or if it's a custom protocol.

Don't assume we know if you're using an AnyBus-X or an AnyBus Communicator.

Many devices like the Communicator will allow you to select high/low byte order for particular fields.

The more information you can provide, the better the advice will be.

The user changes a 16 bit register in the PLC (via HMI), this register is mapped to the register in the Anybus Gateway, here I am assuming the gateway has 8 bit registers, so how is the 16 bit data sent ?? as a High byte or low byte ??

What you are saying is kinda confusing. Need more details. I use a similar gateway right now CAN to EtherNET/IP. CAN side has 16 power supply connected to it. EtherNET/IP is connected to Master PLC.

Each power supply sends 16byte and receives 16bytes so on the gateway's CAN side is addressed that way. On the EtherNET/IP side you only see 256 byte in and 256 byte out as a chunk registry. PLC doesn't know which one is which. Then you can create your tags mapping these registries same order as your CAN side.

Anybus tech support is very good.
The girl there completely wrote the application for me to talk RS232 to EthernetIP.
I just sent her the RS232 comm info from the device and what I wanted to see on EhternetIP.