RS Logix 5000 error

Terrep

I'm getting the following error when I try to open a project.

Failed to open file 'C:\
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

The RSLogix 5000 software is loaded on VMware Player.

In VMware, if you are trying to open the project file from within RSLogix 5000 then make sure the Project Directory is set correctly in RSLogix 5000:

62155 - Error 717-8001011F - Failed to open file filename
Access Level: TechConnect

Note: The above is for a default setup where RSLogix 5000 is installed on the Host system and the project files are using the default Project Directory. If using RSLogix 5000 under VMware and you store your project files in one directory, such as the default on the Host system, then you should point RSLogix 5000 to that Project Directory which is external to VMware. If storing within VMware, but not in the default Project Directory, then point RSLogix 5000 to that user defined Project Directory.

If you are double-clicking the file directly from somewhere within VMware, and getting this error, then it may be another issue. Here is another Activations related possibility...

53830 - RSLogix 5000 Failed to open file timeout expired 717-8001011F
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

The RS Logix 5000 is installed on the VMWare machine and had been working fine up to about a week ago.

OK, that's fine but please, one line answers do little for us except keep us guessing. Details in your answers promote details in the follow up.

Where are you opening the project file from, inside or outside of RSLogix 5000?

Is the file stored in a folder within VMware or on the Host system?

What Project Directory is RSLogix 5000 pointing to under Tools/Options?

We want to help you, if we can. But please don't make us pull teeth.

Regards,
George

I'm opening the project from inside RS Logix.
RS Logix is installed on VMWare.
The project directory is located in the following location:-
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects (on VMWare)
The projects are all located on VMWare.

Is it just this one project file that throws this error or all projects for a particular version of RSLogix 5000?

What OS are you using in VMware?

What version is the project (v19, v20, etc.)?

Here is another possibility...

516311 - RSLogix 5000 v 20 does not open on Windows 7
Access Level: TechConnect

One of the symptoms mentioned is the same as your issue. This fix has to do with a corrupted Dynamic Link Library file (rsl5kcp.dll) for the particular version of RSLogix 5000 that is giving trouble. You simply rename said offending file and copy/paste a working copy of the same file from another version of RSLogix 5000 installed on your computer. If you only have one version of RSLogix 5000 installed, then they provide you with a working copy of the file at the bottom of the Technote, for your convenience.

The file replacement procedure is at the bottom under "If it will not help".

I would try this option.

Also, you did not mention whether you have been looking at, or have access to these Knowledgebase articles I am linking you to? Especially the "TechConnect" ones? Let me know if you cannot view them.

Regards,
George

I appreciate the help with this problem. I'm able to open the techconnect knowledge base.
The version of the VMWare player is windows 7 and I'm using RSLogix V20.

I'll try this fix later today.

Thanks again for your help.

Darren