Red Lion Crimson 3.0 check communication

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working with a Red Lion graphite series hmi with multiple PLC's. I know how to setup an alarm to check for communication in general using a datatag to system variable CommsError. What function would I use to return the communcation status for a particular device.

In my device manager I have 'deviceA' and 'deviceB' in protocol 1, allen-bradley, ethernet/ip.

For each device that needs a communication failure alarm, I like to use a flag tag set to the value of "IsDeviceOnline(PLC_Name)"

I also tend to set an alarm for this tag with a delay time. In many cases I have found that the Red Lion device is up and talking before the PLC is fully awake, so a delay of 2 to 5 seconds is often called for to prevent nuisance alarms at power up.

You can use the name given to each PLC or you can use the device number as the argument for the IsDeviceOnline function. I tend to use the name, that way if I change communication channels or delete and add devices and get the device numbers mixed up, the alarm is still tied to the device by name.

The function will return a "1" when the device is communicating and a "0" when it isn't so set your alarm conditions accordingly.

Last edited: