ControlLogix to PLC5

After two days of 1 step forward and two steps back, i have to ask WTF ??

My client has an older PLC5 with DH+ talking to an Older Cutler Hammer PM3000 touchscreen. We are supposed to add some hardware to this line and so I had the brilliant idea to get a new touchscreen with Ethernet.
So I fired up my office hardware PLC-5 RevF and my 1761 NET-ENI and after 12 hours of trying every cable combination I have RSLINX showing me the PLC5 and my L23 Logix Processor.
So now I want to share 10 words in each direction... Use Messages they say..
My L23 has an ethernet port that is at 192.168.100.115 my NET-ENI is at 192.168.100.35 No mater what I do it just is not working, Can these two be messaged together. Anyone want to point me to a working example ??
In Controllogix under communication I have an error text " Connection failure"
Who messages who ?? Do I read write from Controllogix or do I push from the PLC5 ??

In general, you will configure the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix as a PLC Typed Read or PLC Typed Write.

There will be a traditional "N7:0" style address for the source/destination on the PLC-5 side, and a CompactLogix INT[x] array tag for the source/destination on the CompactLogix side.

There does not need to be any "PLC/SLC Mapping" done in the CompactLogix.

The 1761-NET-ENI IP address will be the target of the MSG instruction.

The NET-ENI will *not* go in the I/O tree of the CompactLogix controller.

When I go to the message instruction in the Controllogix, the message instruction asks for some fill in the blanks. There is a communication tab that requires one to put in a name (optional ?) a port (0-7) and the iP address of the target device, in my case 192.168.100.35 what about the other two name and port. Also do i check CIP comms ??

NOTE: I did try the generic Ethernet to populate the tree but that did not work as I did not know the instance etc. so i gave up on that. (with that I could browse and select the Ethernet comms required for the message instruction.

Last edited:
Don't try to put the 1761-NET-ENI into the I/O tree of the RSLogix 5000 program. It does not support I/O connections and will not work correctly if the CompactLogix is trying to open that type of connection to it.

Instead, you just create a CIP Path by hand.

It's really pretty straightforward; every segment in a CIP protocol path consists of a Port and an Address. You start at the CPU and go to the target device, and all elements of the CIP Path are separated by commas.

To make it similar to ControlLogix, the CompactLogix 1769-L23 and similar controllers use a virtual backplane object and consider the Ethernet daughtercard to be in Slot 1.

So the CIP Path should be "1, 1, 2, 192.168.100.35".

The "1, 1" means "Port 1 (the virtual backplane) and Slot 1 (the Ethernet module).

The "2, 192.168.100.35" means "Port 2 (the Ethernet port) and target address 192.168.100.35".

The fact that Port 1 is the backplane and Port 2 is the network port is sort of the secret handshake. It's in all the user manuals but it's important to highlight those details.

Kudos Ken, works like a champ,i dug a hole that was too deep. I am seeing the PLC5 and it was quite easy, looking back. Once again thank you.

Works ok on my L23E but does not work on my L24ER

Ken can you please help me, something is not quite right I have given a screen shot of what works ok on the left in my Lab PLC5 through 1761-ENI to my L23E but when I connect to my L24ER the address cannot be found:
LocalENB, 2, 192.168.100.35

After hitting ok the software comes back with :"Failed to set Path value to LocalENB,2,192.168.100.35

ETHERNET COMMS NOT WORKING.jpg

Just for kicks, try eliminating the leading 1, 1, from the path. This would change it to "2, 192.168.100.35".

I set up messaging on a L16ER the other day and this is what worked for me. There was a tech note that mentioned a change. I'll post a link if I can dig it up; I'm herding cats today.

According to Rockwell Knowledgebase: When using the new CompactLogix 5370 Controllers all that needs to be specified is a 2 at the start followed be the remaining targets path. An example of a valid MSG path to a MicroLogix 1400 (with an IP address of 192.168.1.1), directly connected, would simply be 2, 192.168.1.1.

I believe the L24ER is one of the new 5370 Controllers as was my L16ER. FYI: The knowledgebase document is 467768

Yes that is the answer, all working now. This is my first time using the L24ER and I thought it was the same as the L23E looks like there are some differences. (Analog Current input, both the Voltage and the current must have the same wire, jumpered.....really) Anyway thank you for your quick reply now I can keep moving forward.:)