Factory Talk ME Alarm message as String text followed by a tag value (DINT)

kidtron123

Basically, I want a message in Alarm Setup to be string text followed by a DINT. The string text is normal (just like any other text of a message).

The DINT will come from the PLC
Would like to do this in Factory Talk ME. The trigger of the alarm will be a bit from the PLC

I dont think this is possible. It can be done in Siemens wincc flex but that doesnt help you out.

I am interested to know the answer myself

Variables in alarm messages are very possible

This is definitely possible in FTView. Just right-click on the Message in the alarm configuration and select "Edit String". Then in the box that comes up, in the lower right there is the "Insert Variable" button, use that to browse to add tags.

We use this all the time, in fact we have the entire message generated in the PLC, so we can edit/update alarm strings in run time without having to recompile the FTView project.

Another tip for using FTView alarm editor, you can select multiple rows and then hit Ctrl-C to copy them and then paste them into Excel. You can edit them there and then paste them back into the editor. If you have a lot of alarms you are configuring, this can save you a lot of time.

EDIT:
radfahrer beat me to it.
I also forgot to mention the Edit String option.

In the past I have point the Message string itself to a string tag in the PLC using a string variable syntax.

/*S:0 {::[Shortcut]Program:programName.TagName[array element]}*/

or for a controller scoped, non-array tag:

/*S:0 {[Shortcut]TagName}*/

I THINK you can mix string variables with regular text, so you could trying making your DINT as a tag using the string format above, and just tack on your message.

Another option is you could completely construct the message in the PLC along with your DINT (concatenate them), and then have your message point to the PLC entirely.

.. But what about the acknowledge ?

Consider having two or more identical machines, and using one set of alarms for all machines and passing the machine ID string into the alarm text as suggested. Very cool.

But how could one write an expression to acknowledge the machine specific alarm? The only way I can think of is to have a 'global' alarm acknowledge, meaning one 'Ack all' button to acknowledge all alarms in the PLC.

Good discussion, even though it is many years old ;)

To add, embedded variables don't update while the alarm is true/active. Most of the time that isn't a problem. Just FYI.

Sorry, didn't realize how old the thread was.

Do tell

This is definitely possible in FTView. Just right-click on the Message in the alarm configuration and select "Edit String". Then in the box that comes up, in the lower right there is the "Insert Variable" button, use that to browse to add tags.

We use this all the time, in fact we have the entire message generated in the PLC, so we can edit/update alarm strings in run time without having to recompile the FTView project.

Another tip for using FTView alarm editor, you can select multiple rows and then hit Ctrl-C to copy them and then paste them into Excel. You can edit them there and then paste them back into the editor. If you have a lot of alarms you are configuring, this can save you a lot of time.

This is our desire also. But we recently tried it, and found an caveat.

We created all of the FactoryTalk View ME Alarm Messages to be imbedded strings that point back to the string data array in the PLC. This works great while under power, and a new alarm event comes in, the string is read, and the appropriate alarm string is displayed.

The caveat happens when you power up a Panelview while existing alarms are already present. The strings are not read, and the panelview merely displays ???? for each of the BOOL alarms, as the string has not been read.

Is there a work-around for the caveat?

Thank you

Plastic

The workaround is make embedded values update before the triggers. It's been a long time, but there are two settings you can play with in alarm setup. I believe one is for embedded variables. Sorry, I don't have software in front of me to look. You can also create a refresh, which will clear all triggers momentarily, after that you won't get question marks. Rockwell has been battling that issue for a long time. There isn't a good excuse on why they can't fix it.

I am having the same problem as Plastic. Phorog30 can you expand on this, as to what and how to play with the settings.

Thank you

Kirsch

I am having the same problem as Plastic. Phorog30 can you expand on this, as to what and how to play with the settings.

Thank you

Kirsch

Look under alarm setup, advanced tab. It's the embedded server update rate, make it faster than the alarm update rate. This still won't fix it all of the time. It's been broke for years and RA just can't grasp the fix. It's sad really!!

My workaround, was I had a button in the PLC that would clear all triggers for a few seconds (refresh). Then the triggers would send again and all would be good. This was generally necessary on boot, both PLC and HMI.

1.png

Last edited: