Factory Talk View SE Display open off an alarm trigger.

ChaseV

I am trying to have my Alarm Summary page open when an alarm goes active (I am using ALMD blocks) this is the expression I am trying to use (Display AlarmSummary If (AE_InAlmUnackedCount("*Cl1*") + AE_InAlmUnackedCount("*Cl2*")) > 0) I just don't know where I would insert this so my client will do this.

Thank you

According to RA support, all display commands must come from the client. To accomplish this requires creating a background screen to issue the command from, an event to trigger the command and the use of VBA on the background screen to open your display. It also requires creating a macro to open the Background screen when the CLI project is started and starting the event.

The first thing we did was to create a memory tag. We called it popup. It's a digital tag with an initial value set to 0.

Second, create your background screen and on the background screen add a Numeric Display object and assign the Popup tag to the connection. I named my background screen EVENT_SCREEN.

Right click on your Numeric Display and click VBA code.

Add this code:
Private Sub NumericDisplay1_Change()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
If Not IsError(NumericDisplay1.Value) Then
If NumericDisplay1.Value = 1 Then
ExecuteCommand "Display ALARM_SCREEN"
End If
End If

ErrorHandler:
LogDiagnosticsMessage Err.Description, ftDiagSeverityError

End Sub

I named my popup display ALARM_SCREEN.

Third, create your Event. The Action of the Event is to set the popup tag to a value of 1. Use your expression to trigger that action. I named my event OPEN_ALARM.

Next, you need to create your Macro to start you background command screen. Once created, I placed mine in the Startup Macro of the CLI project.

I used this:
Display EVENT_SCREEN /ZA
EventOn OPEN_ALARM

I also went to Display Settings on my Event Screen and set Cache After Display to YES and checked Always Updating. Even though that /ZA is the same command. Not sure it's needed but it did not seem to hurt.

Lastly, I added a button to my ALARM_SCREEN. This button will be used to reset the popup tag to 0 and to close the ALARM_SCREEN.

I did this by adding the set command to the Press Down Action and the Abort Command to the Release Action of the button.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

So I saw this and added a NumericDisplay with this Expression: (AE_InAlmUnackedCount("*Cl1*") + AE_InAlmUnackedCount("*Cl2*"))

and added the VBA:

Private Sub NumericDisplay1_Change()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
If Not IsError(NumericDisplay1.Value) Then
If NumericDisplay1.Value > 0 Then
ExecuteCommand "Display AlarmSummary"
End If
End If

ErrorHandler:
LogDiagnosticsMessage Err.Description, ftDiagSeverityError

End Sub

The only problem I have is if you want to go back to a screen while the alarm is still active it kicks me back to the alarm page. Does your second part avoid this problem or is there away around this? Note: my NumericDisplay is within my other displays.

It sounds like when you leave you numeric display screen it is no longer active and updating. When you return it runs the VBA code again.
The VBA code has to run to open the alarm summary page.

I separated my reset and abort commands on my alarm screen into two individual buttons. Even if I close the alarm page and left my numeric value at 1 it did not reopen screen. But my background screen is always open and updating. Sounds like yours is closing and reopening.

So my problem is my client doesn't want to Ack the alarms from the Alarm Summary page. If an alarm comes in he wants the Alarm Summary to popup so the OPs know where what screen to open and Ack at that page. but if that script is still running it will keep opening the Alarm Summary Display

The screen with the VBA code has to be always open and updating. /ZA

Try adding the /ZA to your Display Commands that open the screen with the Numeric Display.
or
Just follow the steps in my original post.