Factory Talk View SE Auto logout of User to Default

ChaseV

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to have a user get logged out after an X amount of time because to default so that user privilages are no longer active. I know there are ways to have the whole screen to log out, but we need that to stay active so the home screens are always visible.

Thank you!! Happy Holiday's

You need a script at the back to do this. As far as I know this isn't something you configure in FTView... which is weird because even effing iFix can do it.

Yeah, I was just talking to a Rockwell Rep; it is crazy they had this function in RSView32 but not the latest. And in ME this is just an easy enable within Settings. It's just crazy you have to add so much code for this function, which, looking through fourms, seems like a lot of people use or want this within SE.

Yeah, I was just talking to a Rockwell Rep; it is crazy they had this function in RSView32 but not the latest. And in ME this is just an easy enable within Settings. It's just crazy you have to add so much code for this function, which, looking through fourms, seems like a lot of people use or want this within SE.

I'm amazed how they can deploy this stuff into Pharma plants with such a glaring omission... but hey ho.

This isn't difficult to setup, but it really should be easier. And it is done within FT View. No scripting needed. But it does require you to add an ActiveX component to each display to detect when it has been idle for a set amount of time.

There is a knowledgebase document that walks you though this process. But it does require a TechConnect contract.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/23830

1. You will need to download and install the IdleDetect ActiveX tool from Rockwell. I don't know why this isn't just included with FTV Studio. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find where you can download this file other than the knowledgebase document. I'll keep looking.
  2. You will need to open an existing display and add the ActiveX component.
  3. In the Properties for the object go to the Connections tab and in the Interval field, type in the number of seconds for the idle delay.
  4. In the Enabled field enter a digital tag name if you want to enable/disable the IdleDetect function, or just type a "1" to leave it set as enabled.
  5. Right-click on the object and select ActiveX Events
  6. Select EnterIdleState on the left and then on the right enter the command or commands to be executed

Couple notes
  • In the Properties for the object, you can deselect "Visible" so the ActiveX object won't be visible during runtime. Otherwise you see a timer timing down.
  • I create a user account that I can use to login after the idle delay. Just a basic account with limited access. The command is just "login username password" without the quotes.
  • For the commands to execute, do not use Logout. That will force the pop up login screen. Just use Login. That will lgout the current user and login the new user. As long as your command includes the user name and password, no pop up will appear.
  • After making sure it is working correctly for that one screen, copy and paste it to all other screens where you want to be able to detect no activity.
  • Make sure the auto-logout function on the client is disabled

Certainly this is harder than it should be. No argument there. But it really is pretty easy to use. I'm not sure if this download link will work, but you can try it.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/okcsFattach/get/23830_6

You will get a File Download Error message. Sign in to your Rockwell account on their site. If you don't have one, create one. Then once you are signed in, try the link again and see if it will let you download. It might not let you if you don't have a TechConnect account. But it is worth a shot.

OG