Koyo Click save data registers to PC

dpmanthei

I have been directed to record analog data from a machine that was wired and programmed by a former employee. Does anyone know of a way to capture Koyo Click analog input values or data registers on a PC? Is there some sort of hack using the Koyo software or a way to write monitor data to a file? We also have a spare IDEC MicroSmart Pentra on another machine that could benefit from this same type of data recording.

Background:
We are trying to measure the amount of leakage in a product using a pressure transducer. Right now the PLC performs a pass/fail calculation by measuring the current pressure, subtracting 400psi to establish a threshold, then checking the pressure after a 4-second wait. We would like to record the actual leakage (all units, pass or fail) and generate a histogram of our results. This is for R&D so if it requires leaving a laptop in monitor mode for a week that's perfectly fine...the solution DOES NOT need to be scale-able or simple to perform.

Thanks in advance!

Click uses MODBUS RTU for all of it's communications. Google "MODBUS Data Logger" and see what you come up with. I bet you find something free or at least nearly free.

AdvancedHMI has been tested with the ClickPLC using the ModbusRTU driver. It has a data logging component that will record data to a text file.

Thank you icky812, I will do that. I have also been wondering if a SCADA package might be able to monitor and log the data I want. I have never used a SCADA deployment so that might be too much to learn in too little time.

For now, I have paralleled in a DataQ DI-155 analog data recorder but it records a lot of extraneous "noise" that requires a great deal of post-processing of data on my end. Because I am recording voltage only, I have to find the regions where the leak test was running and clip out all other data. The more excel IF, COUNTIF, and CONCATENATE formulas I use the less I trust the authenticity of my results.

Thank you Archie for the recommendation. I will definitely look into that...the fact that the download is hosted on Source Forge earned AdvancedHMI some extra points with me. ;)

If you need any help getting AdvancedHMI setup with the ClickPLC, I can get you started fairly quick. Just about 6 months ago I deployed 2 systems that used Click PLCs with AdvancedHMI.

The only not so obvious thing is finding the Modbus addresses that correspond to the registers. In the Address Picker, check the Display Modbus Address box. That will show you the addresses to use within AdvancedHMI.

Thanks for the help up this point. I'm having trouble with Modbus addressing. I want to see what's in DS11 so (using your trick) the Modbus address is 400011. The data logging software I'm using doesn't permit addresses above 32767.

When it comes to controls, I spend most of my time in the IDEC world and connect devices with simple TCP/IP. I'm just a greenhorn mechanical engineer...Modbus is a whole other animal I have avoided because it has always seemed overly complex and brings with it a lot of terminology I just don't have the time to learn.

I can verify my data logging software is connecting to the PLC correctly and can pull data from random addresses I throw at it...but what's the address of DS11???

Thanks again,
D

I suspected that might be the case, so unfortunately I have tried that already. I tried 3011, 30011, 4011, 1011, 11, 411, and many other permutations.

This is just a quick R&D test and AdvancedHMI was far too complicated for me. I've tried many programs this evening and the only one that's getting me anywhere is "Oakes Industrial Modbus RTU Datalogger". It is capable of exactly what I want in a simple interface but I can't kick this address problem. Communication and logging works great other than my inability to find the address of the data I actually want.

I have this simple program called Modbus Simulator (Mdbus) that has been helping me with all my modbus testing problems.. But I can't find any download link in the internet.. I can upload it if you still need it..

You might also want to check the neighboring address (the 10 and 12) since some equipment use different offset for their addressing..

Solved

D.Chris, thank you very much for the suggestion! I found the address! I had tried moving one or two addresses up but not down...turns out "DS11" is at Modbus address 10. Now that I double-checked that does make sense :oops:. Koyo Click data register numbering starts at DS1, not DS0.

Archie, thanks again for the address picker trick...that was essential!

And thanks again icky, I did end up searching for a Modbus data logger and found one that works with a decent user interface.

In conclusion, it's fairly simple to log data from a Koyo (Click, likely other models) to a CSV file on a connect PC, using the following:

"Oakes Industrial Modbus RTU Datalogger" software
D2-DSCBL & GXMU-1200 cables (or equivalent)
DS11 on PLC ---> Modbus address 10 in software (adjust addresses as needed)
CSV file stored at:C:\Users\username\Documents\Oakes Industrial Modbus RTU Datalogger\DataLogs\

This is just a quick R&D test and AdvancedHMI was far too complicated for me.
I know you already have another software working, but just for a reference to others that may want to try it, these are the steps to getting AdvancedHMI to log data:

- Download and extract AdvancedHMI
- Open the Solution in Visual Studio
- Build the project
- Open MainForm in Solution explorer if not already open
- Add a ModbusRTU driver from the Toolbox to the form
- Set the driver properties (baud rate, etc.)
- Add a BasicDataLogger from the Toolbox to the form
- In the Properties Window set PLCAddressValue to a Modbus address you want to log such as 40001
- Run the application

You will then get a file named PLCDataLog.log (or to whatever you specified in the data logger properties) that has the sampled data.

Click Koyo PLC & VTScada

Does anyone have experience with Click Koyo PLC and VTScada? I can get the registers to monitor and status but I can not get changes to be made to coils or contacts? Can anyone help with this?

Welcome to the forum!

In general, you'd be better to start a new thread than revive an old one, you'll get a lot more responses.

I've not used VTScada so can't give you any specific advice from that end, but I've used the Click a bit. One thing that I learned using AdvancedHMI to talk to the Click - when using boolean data types (like coils and contacts), you have to preface the modbus address with a zero. E.g. for address 16485, I would address it as 016485.

I'm not sure if this is a quirk of the Click, of Modbus, or of AdvancedHMI, but it's a quick and easy test while you wait for others who might know more about VTScada to come along.