Omron motion controller MCW151-DRT

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
Haha... Omron auto changes to Moron on autocorrect! šŸ˜

Anyway...

I'm having issues with some Motion Controller cards.

Long story short, we had a machine where the motor wouldn't work. Previous shifts changed the motor, drive and the motion controller card which didn't work. I took over and changed the open circuit cable. Put the original drive in and verified the correct parameters. I was unsure which was the original MC card and played around a little. One wouldn't program, one wouldn't enable the drive and one worked, which had the correct program in so assume that was the original card.

Machine works... Great!

Now, we had one spare MC card, the drive and another card was swapped with a drive and a card out of another machine as we had no other spares. Grrrrrrr...

So today I tried to get this other machine running. Drive no problem. Now I have the two MC cards. One of which kept failing to accept the programs and one that wouldn't enable the drive.

The one that failed to download was now able to be programmed. Why? Well I don't really care about that. Just want it to work for now until a spare arrives.

So, using Motion Perfect 2 software, I send the programs to the card. I then set the required auto start program (this program is called MASTER and set to run on process 1 as do all the other MC cards in the factory)
Then I save the programs to eeprom.

After recycling power, the drives show =bb (or is it =66?) on startup before switching to run. Apart from my drive. It stays on =bb. I can run the master program via Motion Perfect and the programs run their sequence and enable the drive and it can be used as normal.

But why isn't the MASTER program being ran on startup? This is the case with 2 cards. Am I missing something? The help documentation is a bit naff... and I'm not finding much online.

So please, you awesome bunch, HELP! šŸ˜Š

What does
"?power_up"
Return?
1 indicates power up from eeprom. Can't remember the others.
Have you selected the right task on which to run "master"? Running from mp2 chooses the highest priority task available.
I'm going from memory here but you define the autostart program and a task. Is this right?
Pp

Thanks for replying Parafin Power!

I managed to get this working late last night.

With the machine power off, I connected and ran Motion Perfect 2 ensuring the comms settings were correct for the drive. I monitored the task window and noted why it failed.

If I remember rightly it was something like:
#57 process already running

Basically my assigned program-to-run-in-process-number was wrong. On auto start I set MASTER program to run in process 1, as this is what it seemed to look like on other drives. Once it runs, then it tries to run another program in process 1 causing a conflict.

If I auto-run the programs from Motion Perfect 2, MASTER runs in process 3 and STARTUP runs in process 1.

So I set MASTER to autorun on process 3 instead and VOILA!!! IT WORKED... Great!!!

For clarification, in case it helps others in future:

I have a backup of the programs for the Motion Coordinator card (not Motion Controller as I previously said.)

The backup contains the programs that the card can run.

So in my example I have programs:

HAND
AUTO
HOME
MASTER
STARTUP

So, new card fitted and I connect my laptop using the relevant lead and run Motion Perfect 2 software.

I connect to the card using Controller -> connect using project...

Select the backup project file

the drive should connect and report differences. (Check comms settings if not)

Here, click on Resolve and then Load the data from the project. This will update the MC card with the project data.

Once this is done, you have to select which program will automatically run on power up.

Program -> set power up mode

Now you have an area to select which program to run and on which process.

For mine, as I worked out I set MASTER to run on process 3 (see the top again to see how I worked that out)

And lastly, you have to save it all to the card Eprom by Controller -> Fix Project Into EPROM

That should be it.... in a nutshell!

Power off and power on again and test.

OBVIOUSLY your machine is different to mine, so there will be variances!

Last edited: