SLC 5/04 with 1761-ENET

rwimer

I have a 5/04 connect to 1761-ENET.
I have a controllogix chassis with 1756-EN2T and 1756-DHRIO.

Is there a way I can MSG a 5/04 through the 1761-ENET -> Controllogix chassis -> DH+ -> 5/04?

If so, how would I set up MSG instruction?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

I don't think that those specific devices will do what you want.

The 1761-NET-ENI is designed principally to allow a PC or another controller on an Ethernet network to send messages to a serially-connected MicroLogix or SLC controller.

It does support outgoing messaging, using a table of "DF1 address = IP Address" equivalents. This is described on pages 5-3 and 5-4 of the User Manual.

That table only supports devices with integral Ethernet ports (like MicroLogix 1100 or SLC-5/05 or PLC-5E) and ControlLogix devices where the controller is integral or in Slot 0 (ControlLogix and CompactLogix).

It does not have enough information in that table to send an "Execute PCCC Message" command to a 1756-DHRIO, complete with remote PCCC Link and Station data. That's what you would need to message across the 1756-ENBT/1756-DHRIO to an SLC-5/04 on a DH+ network.

In agreement with Ken, two things fall down here...

1. The 1761-NET-ENI routing table just maps the DF1 node address to Ethernet IP addresses. It cannot map the SLC's source link ID, which is required for the 1756-DHRIO, so all it passes to the 1756-EN2T is Ethernet data.

2. Because the 1756-EN2T only receives Ethernet data and no source link ID, it would need to map the Ethernet data to a source link ID before routing it to the 1756-DHRIO. But the 1756-EN2T does not have a routing table to do this, so the data stops at the 1756-EN2T.

If you had a ControlLogix processor in the chassis with the 1756-EN2T and 1756-DHRIO, and it was in slot 0, then you could message from the SLC 5/04 to the ControlLogix processor first and then relay message that data out the 1756-DHRIO, but it doesn't sound like you have a processor in the 1756 Chassis?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thanks.

I do have a processor in the rack.

Like you mentioned, I am currently reading the data from the 5/04 with the Controllogix then sending it out over DH+. I was hoping there was a direct way of doing it.

My knowledge of AB's DH+ is new. Thanks guys for the info. Appreciate it!