Thumbwheel switches to timer integer

PLCpuzzled

Hello all,

Though no stranger to computers and programming, I am a newbie to PLCs. I have a simple task but am not sure how to connect the dots. I plan to use an AD Click C0-01DR-D with an additional input module.

I need to load a timer (for a delay of 1-99 seconds) from a number entered via a two digit thumbwheel switch (8 bits BCD).

What's the path from that to the integer value I need? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a one-box conversion instruction so you'll have to construct an algorithm using one or more MATH instructions and some RSH instructions.

Thanks Doug. That's along the lines of what I found (or didn't find). I thought perhaps I was just missing the obvious. Thanks for your help.

Have you thought about using a small cheap HMI for inputting the number you need? I have never been a fan of BCD switches as it uses up a lot of inputs.

You can get a pretty cheap HMI from AD starting around $200.

Use two PACK COPY instructions to isolate the two groups of 4 bits to their own D registers. Then use MATH ((Upper * 10) + lower) to develop a usable integer.