Panel doors opening 90 degrees

Edmhydraulics

Good morning, just wondering if there is a specific part of the electrical code here in Alberta that says electrical panel doors must open a minimum of 90 degrees. I was able to find reference to it in the NEC for the US, but not specifically here in Canada. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Edmhydraulics.

What happened, did production set the machine next to a column?

Either that or you have a panel with a door that is wider than the 36"/42"/48" rule. And someone doesn't want to give any more than the stated distance in the rule. I know I always fight with production about large panels and the distance rules involving metal surfaces and other powered equipment. "I thought you said only 36 inches?".

No these are double door panels going into an enclosure. The panel itself is recessed slightly so that the external doors on the enclosure can close and protect the panel. With it recessed slightly when you open the panel doors they hit the frame of the enclosure and only open about 80 degrees.

The whole unit is going outside at a tailings pond, hence the full enclosure on the whole HPU.

What we are going to do is bring the panels out beyond the frame slightly, and then replace the external doors so they are deeper and cover everything while still allowing the panels to open + 90 degrees. The reliability engineers at site are making a fuss, it was an oversight by our engineer.

Thanks,

Edm.