Looking for large panel with "sliding" doors.

Jason Ozolins

Anyone have/know of a source that custom fab's painted steel cabinets with sliding doors? Purchaser is trying to save space of normal "sweeping" doors in the MCC and wants these doors to slide and remove.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

I always get my local Sheet Metal Fabrication company to do custom cabinets. They come in pretty cheap too, compared to custom sizes from traditional control cabinet manufacturers. Let me know how you go.

think of the earthing cable, and you can not put any button or so on the door.
how about the lock?
but yes sure it is possible, we are to far away.

I'm concerned about the "saving space" thought process for your customer. OSHA and NEC regulations require that the space in front of an enclosure be kept clear for 36" Unless your enclosure doors are wider than 3' (rare) then swinging doors should not be a problem if your customer is following the law.

We have two custom cabinets that we regularly use. We have them made by Saginaw Controls. We also had a one quantity special and they had no problem doing that one either.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about the "saving space" thought process for your customer. OSHA and NEC regulations require that the space in front of an enclosure be kept clear for 36" Unless your enclosure doors are wider than 3' (rare) then swinging doors should not be a problem if your customer is following the law.

We have two custom cabinets that we regularly use. We have them made by Saginaw Controls. We also had a one quantity special and they had no problem doing that one either.

According to his drawing it looks like he has 60" doors on that enclosure. I like Saginaw Controls, but they really don't like doing one-off custom panels. Although in this case it might be big enough for them to do something for you. But in the past I've found for custom cutouts you need to order around 5 or more for them to even start becoming reasonable on price/lead time. I don't know if that's just an SCE thing or throughout the industry, though.

Last edited:
To me it looks like two 60" enclosures bolted together with two 30" sliding doors on each enclosure. Perhaps Jason will clarify.

To me it looks like two 60" enclosures bolted together with two 30" sliding doors on each enclosure. Perhaps Jason will clarify.

Now that I read Note 1, I think you're right. In that case, yeah, it's probably not a good idea. Of course, they'll probably put stuff in front of the door anyway. When it comes to OSHA regulations, things tend not to be illegal in practice until someone gets hurt.

OSHA and NEC regulations require that the space in front of an enclosure be kept clear for 36"
It gets worse if there happens to be a 151 volt or higher cabinet or MCC on the opposite side. Then the clearance required by NEC Article 110.26 is 4 feet if the cabinets are allowed to be open at the same time (exposed live parts on both sides).

For that reason, I always designed my MCC and Electrical Equipment rooms with 4'-3" wide aisles between rows. The 3" is to allow for any handles or other protuberances.

Last edited: