Choosing proper motor for mixer

kallileo

Lifetime Supporting Member
We manufacture a small mixer to mix calf milk powder.
The geared induction motor (0.25kW) and the ac drive should to be able to operate everywhere around the world.
For example EU (230V, 50Hz), JAPAN (200V, 50 or 60Hz), US (220, 60Hz).
The motor is available in two versions:
3ph, 230/400V, 50Hz 340rpm
3ph, 220/380V, 60Hz 408rpm
The drive is Schneider ATV12 (ATV12HM2, 200-240V single phase input).
The speed accuracy isn't really important. If it's above 300rpm I'm good.

I'm thinking using the 60Hz model in all cases. Could there be any problem?

If you plan on selling it to Japan, use a motor capable of 200V. Yes the inverter can take care of frequency differences, but it can only adjust voltage DOWN, not up. So regardless of frequency, if you put in 230V, you can tell the drive to only put out 230V, 220V or 200V, but if you can only get 200V in, the drive can only put out 200V. Some 230V motors are ok with 200V input, just at higher amps, so make sure yours is. Then program the drive to always put out 200V regardless of input and you are good to go anywhere in the world.

I don't think you will need anything special. Just choose the 220V 60hz motor and limit the output frequency to 54hz. That way the motor will never need more than 200V and the speed will still be above the 300rpm you said you needed.

And for the USA farm market the drive should be able to take in single phase and still run the 3 phase motor as most farms have a 230 Volt single phase service.

Already noticed that since we sell a lot in US lately.
Even the oldest farms in Europe have 400V three phase service.
Nobody would ever use a 9000W, 230V single phase heaters in Europe but it seems that it's not a problem for US farmers. :p