mini-DOS condition

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Rockwell -L7x processor, and two EN2T cards.
One for I/O, and one for HMI-data logging.
A goof up in the HMI (non-Rockwell) caused a high level of traffic on its EN2T.
The impact was that an attached PanelviewPlus 6 Compact timed out when uploading symbols, and, RSLogix 5000 took over one hour to save the program, online.
Finding the cause took a bit of time, but, even now that it is corrected, leads me to this question.

This was nothing sinister, and the PLC actually continued to run the code, and the I/O responded well.

But, other than the long time to access the system (and troubleshoot it, of course), there was no way to know that this was happening.

The Logix 5000 Task Monitor was somewhat useful, in that, once the PLC was configured to open up the timing a little (long Periodic task scheduling, vs. Cont. task) it became obvious that COMMS were the culprit.

It sure would be nice to be able to programmatically see the COMM load on this card.

So, that's the question.

Is there a way to use a GSV or MSG or other such hack, to have the EN2T tell the processor that there's such a burst of communications load?

You can look at the web page of the card by typing its IP adress, I can't remember if you can see the load in there but there is alot of info, worth a look.

Another way would be to use the Logix5000 Task Monitor. It usually is bundled with RSLogix5000 if you did a full install and should be found in the start menu under "rslogix5000 tools".

You can clearly see the CPU usage by %.

task monitor.png