RSLOGIX 5000 stopped opening.

xertechx

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently moved my hard drive into another computer, RSLOGIX 5000 was working fine except the product wouldn't activate. I realized that I had the license locked to the network card, so I took that out of the old computer as well and put it in. Now RSLOGIX 5000 will not open, it shows the loading screen, but nothing happens. It only shows a background process of "Component of the RSLogix 5000 Application". If I keep opening it, it keeps making these processes, but no software shows up on screen. Any suggestions?

xertechx,

When you install the software, you locked the software to the network card id information based on that motherboard.

Now that you have switched the hard drive, the software is looking for the network card which it finds, but the information it gets is not the same because the motherboard has assigned it different information. in other words, the old motherboard assigned it a serial number (126345678) for example. the new motherboard assigns it as (45612990) which is different.

I think you will have to do the following (note I said I think since I haven't done this in several years):
Put the hard drive and card back in the old computer.
Run the activation software and get a rehost code.
Go to the AB website and type in your information and the rehost code.
The new activation key will be emailed to you.

Again, I am doing this from memory. Please confirm this information with your local AB rep.

regards,
james

Last edited:
James is correct,
One thing to mention is that if your software is still under support - you have the option of assigning the license to a USB dongle (You need to buy that from Rockwell).
This approach works best for me as I can have one 5000 license, install it on many PC's, and as long as I have the USB Dongle - the software can be run on any PC. Note: You have to copy the Factory Talk license file for the Dongle to each PC you have 5000 installed on.