Siemens s7 300 plc cpu 314 hardware questions

sfaf

Hi guys,

looking for some advice from someone with some siemens hardware experience.

Im a student considering buying a siemens plc to practice programming and use on small applications. The plc im looking at at the moment is the cpu 314 (314-1AG13-0AB0) because i can get one that im able to afford.

i have a few questions regarding what hardware ill need to purchase. i know that ill need an mpi to usb connection, i know that ill need a rack for mounting.

• Will this plc be programmable with the use of TIA portal v13? or will i need older software?
  • what does 'integrated power supply' mean? will i still need a power supply module? if so, which part number would you recommend that will work with this plc?
  • also looking for recommendations on input and output cards? part numbers would be of massive help.
  • Is the simatic micro memory card necessary with this model?
  • What is the S7-300 front connector used for? will this part be necessary? I believe it is a part used for the I/O modules...
Hopefully that covers most of it, thanks for taking the time to read!

I must warn against the 314 CPU, mainly because it is MPI only.
IMO, anything without ethernet in the year 2015 is obsolete.

I suggest for you one of these:

An S7-1200 CPU. Depending on the model it will have a number of onboard I/O, onboard ethernet, comes with the terminal blocks (I believe), needs an inexpensive flashcard, and is generally very inexpensive. Can only be programmed with STEP7 v13.

An IM151-8 CPU and some ET200S I/O modules. Has ethernet onboard. The selection of modules and terminal blocks may be a litte confusing for a beginner. Needs a relatively expensive Siemens MMC flashcard. Is more expensive than S7-1200, but the least expensive PLC in the "classic" Siemens family. Can be programmed in both STEP7 v5.5 and in STEP7 v13.

An S7-1510SP CPU and some ET200SP I/O modules. Has ethernet onboard. The selection of modules and terminal blocks may be a litte confusing for a beginner. Needs an inexpensive Siemens SMC flashcard. Is more expensive than S7-1200, but the least expensive PLC in the "S7-1500" Siemens family. Can only be programmed in STEP7 v13.

Last edited:
I would suggest something that supports STL as it is still very much used. Those will be the 300/400/1500 (IM151-8 CPU is 300 series)

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys,

Yes I agree the mpi port is outdated, but i think if i purchase the external cable (mpi to usb/ethernet) and the MMC that are required, this particular plc (secondhand) will still be more affordable for me than the others mentioned (I'm a student with very little funds).

If that is not a worry to me, what do you guys think about the 2 amp and 5 amp power supplies?

what are the benefits to having a 5 amp instead of the 2 amp power supply?

Thanks for the response guys,

Yes I agree the mpi port is outdated, but i think if i purchase the external cable (mpi to usb/ethernet) and the MMC that are required, this particular plc (secondhand) will still be more affordable for me than the others mentioned (I'm a student with very little funds).

If that is not a worry to me, what do you guys think about the 2 amp and 5 amp power supplies?

what are the benefits to having a 5 amp instead of the 2 amp power supply?
I would go for the 151-8.
Programmable via Step7 classic and TIA. Build in ports (3) profi and such.
Get some bases and modules (I/O and a PM) from ebay for ET200S and you're solid.
You may want to look on ebay for a 151-8, I've found some cheap.
You may add an HMI and such later on.