RSLogix 5000 compatibility with 1756-L73

MartyMaucher

In Studio/RSLogix 5000, the latest version (27) apparently is not compatible with the 1756-L73 controller. I get the error shown below. I've tried to find out which version is compatible, but no luck so far. Any suggestions? :confused:

Logix.PNG

The L73 has the default factory firmware in it which basically gives it enough functionality to be flashed to a proper revision. You must update the firmware to V27 in order to put a V27 program in it.

Rather than the default firmware mismatch message we normally see any other time, it would be nice if the message stated specifically that the processor is still at the Boot Code stage and needs to be flashed to something usable. This would highlight the fact for unsure users so they know in future.

A user could simply always select Update Firmware at the bottom of that message window and never have noticed the v1.xx firmware, or what it actually means.

Having said that, it is mostly academic as the end result is the same whether they knew of it or not. I just like to see users understand these subtleties.

Regards,
George

Does the controller not actually show that message on the scrolling display on the front of the processor - I have an L71 doing that just now as it waits for me to upload the firmware version....

Does the controller not actually show that message on the scrolling display on the front of the processor - I have an L71 doing that just now as it waits for me to upload the firmware version....

It probably does... and that would have helped guide me to loading the firmware to the controller. The problem is that I don't have the PLC in front of me as it is in another building, and I have barely had time to look it over.

Which leads to a more basic problem at my work... as I try to fulfill management's directive that "everybody know everything about everything", I find myself being spread thin across all projects. PLCs are about 5% of what I do, and management seems to trivialize any software development. I have to remind them that neither Rome nor control systems were built in a day. Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Marty,

Understand your pain......

There are many tasks that have to be done here, many still to be done which I identified when I joined 2 1/2 years ago.

The major ones:
Ethernet Network upgrade (new fibre network)
PLC5 Migration (27 of them) to ControlLogix
Wonderware Upgrade (30 applications) (Win NT, DOS, Win2000 etc etc) to Terminal Services
Klockner Moeller PLC upgrade to ControlLogix

Many of these, I have been refused budgets to do,so some money has been found in other projects, but realistically, I cannot progress without management approval and some money.....never mind them actually making a decision.....🔨

Yes, you won't always have the controller up close and personal, so my preference was that the message, for an initial flash, should state just that, and not just use the age old firmware mismatch message. A minor peeve, but worth them doing, I would feel.

I also hear you Marty.

Up to last week I was knee deep in a €4m project for a complete new production line here at our plant. We've been planning it for a couple for years now and it has taken 12 months to progress all of the preparatory work to near ready for delivery of the actual equipment and has cost €500k thus far to do so. This included shifting one production line over by a few meters just to fit it in. A right pain for little gain that was!

We have multiple panels built and on site ready to be fitted and wired. All services are in place and a new floor has been floated. I even spent a week in Zurich, Switzerland two weeks ago on training and liaising with the manufacturer to finalize things.

Came in Monday to a meeting to be told the project has been "postponed", for reasons I can't go into, but that really means it's sunk. It's most likely another plant somewhere around the globe will now get it, more luck to them.

This would have been a huge step forward for us, so this was a bitter pill to swallow. But you have to keep the chin up. We did get many improvements on the line we moved, which would not have happened, or happened as quickly, were it not for this project. So we are thankful for that. Our time will come again, I'm sure.

Also, I did have a paid weeks "holiday" to the Swiss Alps, and met some really nice people. :nodi:

G.