AB micrologix 1400B won't except BO from SCADA on DMP3

mtq84

I have an AB micrologix 1400B that is talking to a Survalent SCADA system on DNP3 (serial not enet). I can send and receive 16 bit analogs as well as send a binary input to the SCADA system.

The problem is I cannot receive a control (binary output) from the SCADA system. I have the BO file set up with the config file on the PLC. I tried changing the config file to all 1's and 0's neither works. The SCADA rep tried sending every type of binary output nothing works.

DNP seems to be quite complicated and I have very little experience with it, mostly used in power generation, transmission and distribution.

I checked the archives and the web there is very little info on AB PLCs with DNP.

I didn't have much trouble with the analogs or BIs, getting very frustrated. Unfortunately the SCADA rep doesn't know any thing about AB PLC's nor does he know anyone who does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Graham

Last edited:
I am not familiar with your SCADA system or the DNP3 protocol.

But I will assume "BO" means binary output? And the data file(s) you mention are the binary output file configured in the PLC's DNP3 configuration setup.

Are you sure the binary file(s) setup in the PLC are not being written to within the PLC's program?

Can you post the PLC's .RSS file (zip it first)

"But I will assume "BO" means binary output? And the data file(s) you mention are the binary output file configured in the PLC's DNP3 configuration setup."

yes

"Are you sure the binary file(s) setup in the PLC are not being written to within the PLC's program?"

The binary files are not being used yet in the PLC program. I am using the data tables to check for functionality. I'm manually entering values / watching for changes in the corresponding data files in logix 500 while online to check comms.

"Can you post the PLC's .RSS file "

will do, just change the file extension from .PDF to .RSS

-Graham

Thanks for posting. Hopefully someone that is familiar with DNP3 protocol can spot something. That someone is not me, as I know absolutely nothing about DNP3 protocol.

I'll take a look at this when I get behind a PC with RSLogix500 a bit later today.

Its a shame they aren't using Ethernet; Wiresharks DNP3 interpretation is excellent and is incredibly useful for this kind of thing. Is the comms done over serial radio?

I'm not familiar with that SCADA system but generally any DNP driver has decent diagnostics or at least an event list (because yes, it is a complex protocol!) Which should give some feedback as to the response of the slave if it refuses a command. Hopefully the SCADA rep knows how to check that.

Only noticed that now haha.

In that case... i will not bother taking a look! Let's hope he got it figured out... costs on that job will be through the roof if he's still trying to get that digital output point working.