Uploading DeviceNet and RSLinx files from PLC?

russg

Hi I'm new to Allen Bradly. I've managed to uploaded the PLC code, but need to diagnose the devicenet card. How do I upload the configuration so I can see the device net card in RSLinx and Device Net?

Thanks

Hi russg,

what PLCs/Devicenet cards do you have?

Generally you need RSNetworx for Devicenet to upload the configuration, if you do not already have a file. Latest version I have is 21.

If you are working on ControlLogix or CompactLogix, these details can be gathered through the Hardware configuration, by right-clicking on the Devicenet card, properties, and RSNetworx and gathering the network information and saving to a .dnt file.

If you are on PLC5 and have a 1771-SDN scanner, then you will need a Devicenet cable (USB to Devicenet) and attach your cable as a piggyback to the network connections on the scanner - they used to do a piggyback cable for these, but they are obsolete, although I picked one up a couple of years ago and it does make the job easier.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have a SLC 5/05CPU with two devicenet 1747-SND.

I'm connected through the ethernet port. I've managed to see the device net cards by adding a the cards to my RSLinx and a pass through the ethernet port.

The problem is on the 2nd devicenet card. It has 16 nodes on it's network that are all inverter drives.

The card is showing an error 91. I wasn't seeing all the nodes until i re-powered the PLC. All nodes are unrecognizable and I don't seem to have MD in the DeviceNet software to see detailed diagnostics.

At the site they have changed a couple of DeviceNet modules on the Inverters. One of them fixed a problem, but they are still having problems with a couple of nodes.

I have not used the 1747-SDN card but assume it is similar to the 1771-SDN.
Similar with the SLC5/05, I have not used the ethernet version.

Error 91 is "Bus-off condition detected on comm port.
Module is detecting communication errors.
Check DeviceNet connections and physical
media integrity. Check system for failed slave
devices or other possible sources of network
interference"

I was going to suggest you disconnect the devices, but that will flag up more errors, as the scanner card will need to see all connected devices.

Basics I can think of:
Spare 1747-SDN card to try?
All cable connections good - cos it is a heavy cable, terminations can be an issue.
Have you tried right-clicking on the nodes and trying to upload the EDS file for RS Linx to make them recognisable?
What make of inverters do you have?
RSNetworx for Devicenet needs to be V 2.22 or later, would be useful to get a copy, latest is V21 which works with a USB adapter.

I've just turned all the fan off and i'm getting error 78 followed by nodes 17 and 24

I started to use the upload of the EDS, but when it got to the I/O address bit a got a little worried I was changing some addresses, which is probably wrong because i'm uploading, but i'm just being wary as i'm not experienced with AB