String to Ascii

RobWad

Anyone have an idea how to convert a string to ascii using a ControlLogix and a RTA 435 NBX? I got the messaging from Ascii to string(PC to ControlLogix through the RTA) but having issues responding to the PC using the RTA. Any help appreciated.

We use this device often. The gateway uses two separate strings within the ControlLogix PLC to communicate.

When the gateway receives a message on its serial port it sends the message to a string within the ControlLogix. The internal program should, on recognizing that the string tag now has content, transfers that content (COPy ?) to another tag (or use the string in whatever appropriate way) then clears the string tag. I find copying an empty string into the string tag is the easiest way to clear it.

Similarly, when the PLC wishes to send a message it copies a message to the second string. The gateway, on seeing that the string has content, will send the content out its serial port and clear the internal string tag. The tag being cleared is evidence that the gateway has sent the string.

Actually it is the easiest form of handshaking I have used.

Exactly what problem are you having?

Last edited: