Mitsubishi Q-series, read an analog laser sensor in real time

tempname24756

Hello. I've been learning about PLC's in a few months now, mainly PLC programming, and yesterday I got an assignment to read an analog laser sensor in real time using an analog/digital converter.

The hardware I use:
PLC: Mitsubishi Q02H
Output Module: QY10
Analog I/O Module: Q64AD
Laser sensor amplification unit: Keyence IL-1000
Laser sensor: Keyence IL-065
Voltage converter: DRAN60-24a

Software I use:
GX works2

Now, I am not familiar with the Q-series at all. I've spent all my waking hours since yesterday reading up on the topic, reading various pdf's and watching a lot of youtube videos, but it's just not making any sense to me.

I've hooked up the laser amplification unit to a 24v power source and hooked up the 'analog out' cable to CH1 V+ on the I/O Module, and to be honest I don't even know if it's correctly assembled. I don't have any special schematics, I only follow circuit connection diagram available on Keyence's website.

I have configured the I/O module in GX works as following:
I/O Assignment
Switch Setting
Parameter
Auto_Refresh

Text may be vague as I have not learned these terms in English so I've tried to translate it from Swedish as good as I can.

If you need anymore pictures/info just ask. I'll be checking in every now and then. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

//tempname

The manual for the analog module should provide some wiring diagrams as to how to connect your sensor to the module.

You'll need to determine if the signal provided by the sensor is 4-20mA or 0-10V. The type will change how you wire it to the module. See what the output of the laser is, or if it can be configured for one or the other. Either will work, however 4-20mA seems more common.

Review the analog module manual for the term 'points', there should be some graphs in the manual that will show how the A/D conversion translating the 4-20/0-10 signal into a digital value range. The range is dependent on the resolution of the A/D converter. That should be in the manual as well.

You'll also have to determine where that digital value is stored in memory of the PLC, again should be in the manual.

Once you find the raw digital value in the PLC memory location, you'll have to SCALE it to some useful engineering units (y = mx + b) but do a search on the forum plenty of topics on it.

The manual for the analog module should provide some wiring diagrams as to how to connect your sensor to the module.

-------

Thank you for your reply, Paully. I'll hit the books once again and try to figure out the points you just gave me. I appreciate you taking your time. :)

yours parameter and settings are good(i think). You can chose resolution , or what you want to read from sensor mAmp or volts.
When you connect yous sensor you can connect to plc ,go to online mode and go to buffer window. here you put yours buffer address D1 and watch if you see any numbers.
From 0-20mapm 0-0 digital 20mamp -16000 in high resolution.
or 0v 0digital , 5v-16000digital (depends what parameter you setup)
For mAmp remember you have to connect U+and I+ channel in A/D module.