GXWorks and Passwords

Andrew Hardy

Hi
I have been given the job of modifying a project written in GXworks, the system has 3 HMIs, and alarm messages are stored as strings in the PLC - I have been asked to add some more alarms to the system - all fine and dandy - except that to read the data from the PLC we have to enter a password, which we don't have. We can upload the program no problem, but can't upload any data hence I'm not able to edit any of the current alarms and can't see where the spare alarms start.

Is there any way around this? - we have emailed the firm that wrote the software initially, but they have not been forthcoming (surprise)

Thanks

Hi
I have been given the job of modifying a project written in GXworks, the system has 3 HMIs, and alarm messages are stored as strings in the PLC - I have been asked to add some more alarms to the system - all fine and dandy - except that to read the data from the PLC we have to enter a password, which we don't have. We can upload the program no problem, but can't upload any data hence I'm not able to edit any of the current alarms and can't see where the spare alarms start.

Is there any way around this? - we have emailed the firm that wrote the software initially, but they have not been forthcoming (surprise)

Thanks

If you don't have the password or access to it, but you have a copy of the program, you can clear the PLC and re-enter the code. That is about the only option I believe.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks for that, we already have the program offline so just to be sure - we can clear the PLC, retaining the data, then just download the original program back into the processor?