Powering up the Electronics on a Powerflex 40

Rob S.

I have another question that I should know , and I'm sorry. I want to power up the electronics on a PowerFlex 40 drive so that I can workout the communication and setup on the desk , instead of looking for a 480 volt source. I thought most drives you can just wire 110 volts to L1 and L2 , and
power up the electronics. Is that the same with PowerFlex drives ?

Thanks so much.

I have used a 480V to 120V transformer powered in revere (120 in 480 out) to power VFDs to do just what you want for years. never had any problems as long as you don't try to run a motor
the only thing some VFD's us 2 of the line leads to power the controls you may have to figure out witch ones.
you should only need about 100 watts or less.
don't forget to use fuses or breakers in the feed side

Last edited:
You need to connect the single phase to "L1" and "L2" (looped) to power it up.

See here for more details...

516312 - PowerFlex AC Drives on Single Phase Power
Access Level: Everyone

EDIT: Sorry, I had made a mess of the link above. Working now...

Regards,
George

Last edited:
it looks like L2 and L3 supply power to the controls I am use to working with Yaskawa the controls get the power form the DC buss so feeding any 2 lines or power the buss will power the controls

L1 and L2 On the PowerFlex
Power to any 2, L1 - L2 or L2 - L3 or L1 - L3 on the Yaskawa
also on Yaskawa you can supply power to the DC Buss it will power the controls.
in addition they have an external control power option so you can power the controls from any 24VDC source so you can program the control and keep the Line power off
Also for those that are interested they just released a full line regeneration VFD rated 100% Regen at 100% duty cycle
clearly a better VFD then Powerflex at any level.

Actually I'm not sure it matters. The PowerFlex drives take their control power off of the DC bus using a DC-DC power supply board, so it doesn't matter which phases you connect the AC supply to. The 4 series have no separate control power input. The 750 Series can be powered by a separate 24VDC source for just the control boards.

Other drives that are more particular about where the input comes in to do so because they have a separate AC power supply board for control power and it taps off of only two of the line terminals.

Although I think you can power up the electronics with 120V, if it is a 480V drive it will be Ina perpetual state of UV trip, so I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Last edited:
I am glad to see that Rockwell Powerflex is finely starting to catch up to leader Yaskawa
most of the options new to Powerflex have been available in Yaskawa for years
From what I have seen they usually run about 5 years ahead of pack New features on most drives have been out and proven for years by Yaskawa. they introduced the first flux drive to the US market over 25 years ago. Using a 500VDC power supply for a VFD has been possible and done for years as I stated before they released the Line regen VFD last year expect them to be offered by others in about 3 years or so most require a separate line regen unit I expect to see it become the industry standard in the years to come.