CCW sucks...

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
//Start Rant

CCW sucks...

For the German engineers who designed it that Rockwell bought out...I'm assuming you're on a beach in Tenerife somewhere, and good for you, but man, I'm hating you right now!

If by any chance you've blown all the buy-out cash from Rockwell drinking beer and are back in the working world actually doing some work (goodness knows you didn't do any when you designed that software) then here's a rant you can understand in your native tongue...

CCW ist ein riesen grosse Stuck von $chei$$e!

End Rant//

Connected to controller, in run mode...Start Debugging is greyed out. What more do I need to go online with this thing?

Thanks for listening...I will now continue banging my head against the wall until the pain subsides. o_O

I haven't used this software yet. Is it possible that it doesn't support online editing?

Build...

Clicked Build and that fixed it...this is the annoying build requirement everyone here keeps mentioning I guess.

If anyone wonders why I'm using this offal on a project, a colleague selected this stuff for the project and then left the company. He's receiving some remote wrath from me right now along with the German engineers.

Again, thanks for listening, the ranting is cathartic and if even one person decides not to use this stuff after reading my post, then my mission here is done...

I think.....

If you are working on the free version, then you cannot edit online....

If you pays your money for the Sooper-Dooper version, then you get to go online and play with your code...

Else you work offline, dump it into the processor and hope.......

Simples......Rockwell do not do freebies!

Works great for me - must be user error.

Totally kidding. ;)

But seriously, it's not that bad - and sure simplifies VFD configuration...

They want it to be there "go to tool" for configuration in the future, so I'd get used to it.

I had the misfortune of using CCW with one of their new artificially crippled safety controllers (440C). Let's just say I won't be using it again unless forced to. What a pile of ****.

"Connected Components Workbench" is really a launcher for software that configures a bunch of the A-B low-end control devices, including the Micro 830 controllers, the 440C safety controllers, PowerFlex drives, and PanelView Component HMI terminals.

It's interesting that all the posters in this thread so far have complained about *different* programs that are bundled together inside CCW.

With regard to the ISAGraf editor for the Micro 800 controllers, the most important thing you can do with it is remember that it's not a MicroLogix. It's an IDE for a totally unrelated controller, and it behaves more like Arduino Visual Micro than like RSLogix.

I was pretty disappointed with my experience with Version 1.01, but it's a better software program now, and I know more of what to expect from it.

"Connected Components Workbench" is really a launcher for software that configures a bunch of the A-B low-end control devices, including the Micro 830 controllers, the 440C safety controllers, PowerFlex drives, and PanelView Component HMI terminals.

It's interesting that all the posters in this thread so far have complained about *different* programs that are bundled together inside CCW.

With regard to the ISAGraf editor for the Micro 800 controllers, the most important thing you can do with it is remember that it's not a MicroLogix. It's an IDE for a totally unrelated controller, and it behaves more like Arduino Visual Micro than like RSLogix.

I was pretty disappointed with my experience with Version 1.01, but it's a better software program now, and I know more of what to expect from it.

My only real beef is the ridiculous build and download times compared to Beckhoff or Codesys or pretty much any other PLCOpen based system. Twincat 3 uses Visual Studio like CCW but the build and download times are a fraction of CCWs.

I suspect AB does not care if it is slow so to push people up to Compactlogixs.

The Rockwell "Myth" continues to proliferate.
Dumped them years ago for OMRON.
Excellent, easy to use software with free support.
Latest Sysmac Studio for NJ platform a "joy" to use.

WILL "NEVER" GO BACK TO "SUCKWELL".
šŸ™ƒ

šŸ™ƒ

Their newer cpu's are really well done. Last time I used an Omron unit was with CX Programmer version 1.0. Looks like they've come a long way. Some of those high end units are amazing (y)

šŸ™ƒ

Customers dictate Rockwell so I am.forced to go along with it. Closest I came to an Omron was when I replaced one with a Compactlogix. ..
and since the process also changed from a water treatment plant to just a pumping station, I didn't go in and grab the logic.

It blows my mind how they even got the simple stuff so wrong in this application.

Anyone else been confused by the "Download" icon that has an arrow going UP and to the left and an "Upload" icon that has an arrow going DOWN and to the right? I don't have 3-D glasses on, expecting a user to see that the controller is behind the terminal in a 10x10 pixel icon is ridiculous! And we don't "backload" and "frontload" to controllers, we "up" and "down" load...so please put the terminal above the controller with a down arrow for a download icon and an up arrow for an upload icon!

Even the Rockwell training videos on YouTube for this product suck too...cheesy synth music and captions...no explanatory dialog by an actual engineer who has experience with the product.

I promise, this is my last rant...I'm finishing my code today, loading it next week and hoping I never have to touch this stuff again!

It blows my mind how they even got the simple stuff so wrong in this application.

Anyone else been confused by the "Download" icon that has an arrow going UP and to the left and an "Upload" icon that has an arrow going DOWN and to the right? I don't have 3-D glasses on, expecting a user to see that the controller is behind the terminal in a 10x10 pixel icon is ridiculous! And we don't "backload" and "frontload" to controllers, we "up" and "down" load...so please put the terminal above the controller with a down arrow for a download icon and an up arrow for an upload icon!

Even the Rockwell training videos on YouTube for this product suck too...cheesy synth music and captions...no explanatory dialog by an actual engineer who has experience with the product.

I promise, this is my last rant...I'm finishing my code today, loading it next week and hoping I never have to touch this stuff again!

I had a guy 'insist' on using the Micro 800 series on a new project. After I showed him it's nothing like any of the other AB stuff, he let me use what I wanted. That doesn't happen all the time but I've been fairly successful in steering people away from AB.