Looking for hmi recombinations.

jonfarrugia

I'm looking for an hmi with at least a 10" display, outdoor, capable of - 30c and high graphics visual appeal. Communicate with beckhoff. What do you guys recommend?

Beijer's iX series for marine duty claim to be rated for operation down to -30 C and cite Beckhoff as one of the controllers they communicate with.

They have just 15" and 7" sizes in that rating, though.

How much visual appeal do you need for a subzero application ? Even the Russians are going to look at it, punch a button, and get back inside.

Ken Roach said:
How much visual appeal do you need for a subzero application ? Even the Russians are going to look at it, punch a button, and get back inside.

Side note - better make all your pushbuttons nice and big, so they can be pushed by big burly Canadian (or Russian) operators wearing thick gloves ;)

I'm curious about your application too - if you're free to share, what situation demands a HMI in such an inhospitable location?

I cant say too much about it cause its still in the design/trial stage but its a mobile device used hydro companies. So it could be used way up north or way down south...could be anywhere. It has to work in those temperatures.
I'll look into that display. Have you used them before? if so, how do they compare programming wise to a redlion?

That link takes you to the product specs for some ABB touchscreens like their CP600, which if I'm reading them right have conventional 0-50 C operating temperature range.

While it's useful to provide links to product data, it's more useful if you can highlight how that product fulfills the stated needs and goals of the original poster. If I'm missing an extended-temperature version, please point it out.

I have not personally used the Beijer screens I recommended, but I am considering them for a shipboard application because of their environmental ratings, lighting performance, and CANbus interface.

It is the Rugged Marine or just the Rugged range that you need to look at.

http://www.beijerelectronics.com/en/products/ix-hmi-solution/ix-hmi-rugged

They have an operating range of -30C to +70C with a storage of -40C to +80C.

I am not a big fan of the Ix software, it has some big holes compared to their old programming software. It is very versatile and supports a lot of customisation but is missing some bits that are important to me.

You can download a 20 day trial version from their website, but you might need a Sherpa to help find it.

http://www.beijerelectronics.com/en/support/Help online

Go here first but stay near the top of the page and follow the link that says "Follow this link to our old filearchive. (will open in a new window)". Then click on Products / Software / Operator Systems / Ix, then on the right of the screen choose Software, and finally choose Ix Developer Demo version and you get version 2.2. If you decided to go to their new support section you only get version 2.1.

Look at IFM's displays, they have a 12" display the CR1201. It's full rated for outside and I would comfortably put them into -40C applications. Although the rating is -30C I think. The only issue is it uses Canbus as the native communication protocol so that might be an issue. It's programmed with Codesys 2.3 so the graphics are mehhhh but passable.