ControlLogix Read/Write to SQL

You can't do this directly from the PLC, you need something to handle the exchange.

A hardware solution like this is a rack module:

http://www.softing.us/product/1/eatm-tmanager/

Or if you have some type of SCADA software you typically can write a script to connect to the database through an ODBC connection and do what you need.

There are plenty of dedicated software solutions as well. Kepware, FT Transaction Manager, Ignition SQL Bridge...etc

Before this thread goes to a Wonderwave v. Ignition. v. Citech. v. [Insert Name Here] comparison (and possible fisticuffs ;)), take a look at this thread. Especially my two posts at #20 and #21. Not because I have a vested interest in any of the packages mentioned, I just write good stuff. :ROFLMAO:

And, if this is the KMH I'm thinking of (based on location), will this be a turnkey system? If so, then my last post there will definitely be geared toward your customer as well.

You can't do this directly from the PLC, you need something to handle the exchange.

A hardware solution like this is a rack module:

http://www.softing.us/product/1/eatm-tmanager/

Or if you have some type of SCADA software you typically can write a script to connect to the database through an ODBC connection and do what you need.

There are plenty of dedicated software solutions as well. Kepware, FT Transaction Manager, Ignition SQL Bridge...etc

Yes you can. In fact I was just going to create a new thread for this asking if anyone had any progress in doing this on their own?
There is a company that sells a package (including AOI) that does this.
http://www.sql4automation.com/en/fe...ase-connector-plc-rockwell-allen-bradley.html

Yes you can. In fact I was just going to create a new thread for this asking if anyone had any progress in doing this on their own?
There is a company that sells a package (including AOI) that does this.
http://www.sql4automation.com/en/fe...ase-connector-plc-rockwell-allen-bradley.html

There's an appliance that sits between the PLC and the database. Still a neat idea, though.

EDIT: I'm gonna retract that for a moment. There's some conflicting stuff I'm seeing. I'll take a closer look...

Last edited:
There's an appliance that sits between the PLC and the database. Still a neat idea, though.

EDIT: I'm gonna retract that for a moment. There's some conflicting stuff I'm seeing. I'll take a closer look...

Yeah, I think you are right.

The SQL4automation Connector V3 runs as a service on Windows (XP and up) or Linux (Ubuntu).
The connection between PLC / robot control and the Connector is established via TCP/IP. The connection to
the database is made via ODBC. This means control system, connector and database must be able to
communicate with each other via TCP/IP.

Initially I thought this was just an AOI that wrote direct to the SQL DB, which I thought was awesome. This software is doing nothing more than the software I have already written.....acting as a gateway between PLC and SQL.

Okay, after reading the manual, the SQL is handles by a connector installed on a PC. The PLC talks to the connector, the connector talks to the database. You can also buy an appliance (that's where my confusion was coming in) with the connector pre-installed.

EDIT: Phuz, you were too quick for me! :)

I went through this process a while back, and ended up narrowing it down to the Softing eATM module, or Inductive SQL Bridge. I quoted both and it looks like we'll be going with the eATM module, but things aren't moving hugely fast there at the moment.

I'm using a software solution for most of my applications.
I have a hardware module in one case where the cost of losing the data was MUCH higher than the module cost.

I recently received a note from a long time AdvancedHMI user telling me how he developed an AdvancedHMI application that reads data from a ControlLogix and stores it to a SQL Server. There is nothing spectacular about doing this except that he has it running on the Raspberry Pi Zero (the $5 computer)!