Configuring 1756-DHRIO Card

CallumMacEwen

Hi, Currently struggling trying to connect this card onto the DH+ Network. There is 4 nodes currently in the network and I am trying to add this to the network. The cable is ran and connected, I just need some assistance on setting up the card ect.

Cheers

Callum

I am using channel A and my switches are set to 0 for 57.6K and the node address set for 20. When I connect the computer to the programming terminal I can see the other nodes in the Network but how do I bring in the 1756-L71 that this card is connected to onto the Network?

I am using channel A and my switches are set to 0 for 57.6K and the node address set for 20. When I connect the computer to the programming terminal I can see the other nodes in the Network but how do I bring in the 1756-L71 that this card is connected to onto the Network?

You have to add it to your I/O configuration connected via the 1756 backplane.

Capture.PNG

You have to add it to your I/O configuration connected via the 1756 backplane.

This is true if either channel is being used as a RIO scanner; the module needs to be part of the I/O tree to create the I/O object and connection.

But if it's being used purely for DH+, it does not need to be in the I/O tree.

In fact, placing it there will generate a nuisance error because the ControlLogix will try to open an I/O connection but the 1756-DHRIO in DH+ only mode will not accept it.

Callum, what exactly do you see in the RSLinx browse for the 1756-DHRIO ?

If the module icon is simply labled "1756-module", and/or there is no [+] icon next to it, you probably just need to upload and install the EDS file for the 1756-DHRIO so that RSLinx knows that it's a network bridge module.

How is it wired? Trunk and Drops or Daisy Chain?
Did you relocate the terminating resistor if you extended the network system?
Lastly, have you verified you have it terminated correctly, not reversed, at the module connection?

Steve

A followup note; What curlyandshemp posted is the best method for putting the 1756-DHRIO into the I/O tree without having a nuisance I/O fault; the yellow "pause" icon in the I/O tree indicates that the I/O connection has been inhibited. That's a checkbox on the Connection tab.

One advantage of having the module in the I/O tree is that you can pick it out of the I/O tree when defining a CIP Path. That's convenient, but not necessary; the CIP Path is always "Backplane, Slot" so in curlyandshemp's case it's "1, 5".

It does also give you access to the basic module properties from within RSLogix 5000 instead of getting out RSLinx, but you still have to get out RSLinx for the live module statistics.