TWINCat AdsError While Scanning I/O Devices

hisaurabh

Hello

I'm trying to set up a programming environment for a Beckhoff TwinCAT CX1020. I have successfully connected it through System Manager but when I am scanning for I/O Module devices, I receive the following error:

AdsError: 1820 (0x71c, 'ADS ERROR invalid class id')

Here is how my Hardware Configuration goes:

[CX1020-0112]---------[CX1100-0004]--------[EL1008]--------[EL2008]

I'm attaching sequence wise screenshots:
File_1 : After Broadcast search and selecting route, when I scan I/O Devices -- all seems good so far and it finds 4 devices.
File_2 & File_3 : While Scanning EtherCAT or Boxes, it starts prompting the said error.
File_4: If you want to know my TwinCAT Version type.

I found similar thread while searching but it didn't help me either:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=70624
Any help?

File_1.jpg File_2.jpg File_3.jpg File_4.jpg

Last edited:
Just to help narrow things down, when you get your scanned device list, remove the check boxes from Device1 and Device4.

Hello Archie

Yes. I did try that way too and kept only Device-2 and Device-3 checked but the same errors appeared. I even tried it with another laptop with Windows7 installed and it was displaying same error code.
I'll be visiting a local Beckhoff Engineer here next week for some other work but I'll talk about this too. I'll post the reply if he gets me through it.

Can you upgrade you TwinCAT software to the latest? Some of my problems have been solved by upgrading TwinCAT.
If that is not possible then update the EtherCAT XML files.

Can you upgrade you TwinCAT software to the latest? Some of my problems have been solved by upgrading TwinCAT.
If that is not possible then update the EtherCAT XML files.

Hello and thanks AJZ - do you have the link where I can download/copy the latest EtherCAT XML files? I can't find them on Beckhoff' website.

Just to help narrow things down, when you get your scanned device list, remove the check boxes from Device1 and Device4.

Ethetcat XML device descriptions are available from http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?download/elconfg.htm

This issue is resolved now. Looked like I didn't properly connect the subsequent IO modules in my first attempt and they were not getting 24VDC o_O. I reconnected them with CX1100-0004. Thanks for your suggestions and help.