TwinCAT 3 / TwinCAT/BSD Communications Error

JLand

Sorry if this has been asked before, and apologies if this seems like a trivial issue, but I am new to Beckhoff and have been banging my head against the wall to get my system working. Also apologies if I am missing any information to help give insight into my problem, I am happy to provide any more information that is necessary to help me.

I have two virtual machines running on VMWare Workstation 16. One is a Windows 10 machine with TwinCAT v3.1.4020.14. The other is a TwinCAT/BSD machine with TwinCAT builtd 3.1.4026.0.

I can ping in both directions as well as go online with the TC/BSD webpage from the Windows 10 machine. I can go into Router>Edit Routs>Add... and successfully find TC/BSD with a broadcast search. Once I change the Address Info radio button from Host Name to IP address, I can press Add Route, enter my TC/BSD username and password, and press ok. After this, the new route appears in the static routes popup (one thing to note: in a guide I followed I saw a lock icon on the add route popup in the Connected column, but I never get that, perhaps that's a clue?).

With that done, I load up an example PLC (all it has is one bool and a single line setting the bool to true). I open the target dropdown and select my TC/BSD machine, but after a few seconds it appears to error out and the dropdown entry now says "PC-EB058A (ERROR)" (PC-EB058A is the name of my TC/BSD machine). I have followed a half dozen guides from start to finish and still can't get this working. I also disabled my Windows firewalls on my Windows VM.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

The first thing that stands out to me is you have an older version of TwinCAT you are trying to use to talk to a newer one.

I would start with updating the version of TwinCAT you have installed in your VM's you can also look into Installing Remote Manager packages too, this will allow you to maintain existing platforms that may need 4020.14.

TwinCAT 3 Downloads page.

Update: updating TwinCAT fixed the issue. Still have intermittent comms issues between the development VM and the PLC VM, but I wager that's more a problem with VMWare Workstation than with Beckhoff.